Cylinder Sharpening

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Simon BWFC, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Simon BWFC

Simon BWFC Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have been given an old push cylinder lawn mower, I'm not sure what make it is, as I can't find any manufacturers name on it.

How much would you think I would have to pay to have the cylinder blade sharpened (12" cut)?

Thanks

Simon

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    At a guess around £30- £40

3. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    As much as that PG! Ive got one of those fingymajigs, that you slide on the plate under the blade, which you put sandpaper strips on. But I can't seem to find where they sell the sandpaper strips now. Last place I bought them was Wilkis.

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Thats roughly what my dealer chrges for an hours labour, Sharpending cylinder cassetes is faily laboriuse especially if the blade is nicked.

It should be a one off job though as the blade should then be able to be maintained by back lapping with lapping paste.

5. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ive seen a cylinder blade being sorted .
    a fellow allotment holder sorts out mowers for peeps.
    he has a dedicated laith that hones and recuts the edge on the blades.

i tell ya it takes ages to get it right but the results are amazzzing

first off the mowwer has to be totaly disasamled (to get the rotor blades out).
    then the rotor has to be set up on the machine, then slowly grownd to a sharp edge working out any bent blades
    then once thats done the bottom blade needs sorting to match the reworked rotor.

but as i said above the results are amazzzing . with a propperly sorted mowwer you will cut the grass rather than just batterining it sort.

if you wont a fine lawn (im talk top quilty bowling greenstuuf) then a well sorted cyl mowwer is wot you need.
    if you just wont grass any mower will be ok .but the results are so so differnt