daffodil bulbs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by chickenslippers, Mar 28, 2009.

1. chickenslippers

chickenslippers Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone this is my first post and I am new to the whole gardening thing.

Today I was given a sack of daffodil bulbs and some of the bulbs are sprouting.

1 , I believe the bulbs should normally be planted later in the year but as some of these are sprouting I was wondering if I could plant them out now?

2 , I was hoping to use a dibber to make a hole and just put a bulb in each hole. Will this work and how deep should I make the hole?

3 , If this won't work can I keep them until later in the year to plant? How and where would I keep them?

Told you I was a beginner :gnthb:

Many thanks in advance

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    To say its a bit later to plant daffs is a bit of an under statement, its also very early to plant them.:scratch:

I think you will have problems with them, they should be flowering now not just shooting.

Plant them by all means but dont expect much in the way of flowers this year or next year for that matter.

I tend to think you might be better throwing them away and buying some more in Sept/Oct time.:skp::)

3. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    Go ahead a plant them about 4 inches deep. Probably will not flower until next Spring. Throwing them out is a waste, since it looks like they have life.

4. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    Just plant them, it would be a shame to bin them. Take the usual road. Potter around looking important, wait until at least 10 kids have gathered behind your fence, tell them this job is far too important to be trusted on untrained hands, wait 10 minutes, "give in", "supervise". I had my 1500 discount bulbs in with 10mins work last autumn. :)

The bulbs will flower with any luck next year, if not, then not. Anyway, give them a try.

5. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Yeah, whack 'em in, see what happens :)

6. Snappers

Snappers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    With regards to Daff bulbs. I want to dig mine up and rearrange them. When would be the best time to do this? I was thinking, wait until they had finished flowering, then dig them up and store them in newspaper until next Winter before planting out again.

7. meddyliol

meddyliol Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same question as Snappers so will wait with bated breath for the answer.

Cheers

Brian

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
  9. Snappers

Snappers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0