Daffodils etc

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by meddyliol, Apr 9, 2009.

1. meddyliol

meddyliol Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, when is the best time to pull up Daffodil or/and other bulbs after they have finished flowering? I have some in pots but will plant them in the garden at the appropriate time now I know what colours and size etc.
    I suppose that they will have to be dried before re-planting?

Sorry I think this question has already been asked in another section only I have only just noticed it.

Thanks

Brian

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    For Daffs best to let them die right down, but you could plant them immediately thereafter (or dry, store and plant in the Autumn, but strikes me it would be easier to do it sooner?)

I suggest taking the dead flower heads off and giving them a feed (low Nitrogen, otherwise you will be stimulating growth rather than bulb-building)

If you need them out of the pots sooner then I would plant them "as is" straight out of the pots. But they may be "blind" [no flowers] next year if you do that.

3. meddyliol

meddyliol Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much. I haven't dead headed them so will do that ASAP. I will probably re-plant them as soon as they die down.

Thanks again

Brian

4. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Any daffs that I lift, I leave in trays under the workbench in the shed for the folliage to die down. I then plant the bulbs again in Autumn. Works for me!