1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Daffodils in pots

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by fuchsialady, Apr 27, 2016.

1. fuchsialady

fuchsialady Gardener

Ratings:
    +16
    This year (well, autumn) I planted up several pots with daffodils, both normal size and little ones. Now they are coming to an end of flowering I know I should just snap off the flowering heads and leave them to die down.
    I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can answer:
    a) "They" talk of giving the plants a foliar feed- is that something special or can I use a dissolvable general purpose food? And how often? Just the once?
    b) When the leaves have died down I was planning to hide the pots round the back of the house and they will be under the eaves. Will they be OK without any water or should I be nice to them?! I sort of assumed they were dormant and didn't need anything but the ones planted in the garden get frequently rained on so I just wondered. Don't want to kill them off!
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fuchsialady,

The feeding I'll get to in a minute ( you'll see why ! ).

Why do you want to hide them away ? I have loads of Narcissi/Daffodils in pots from miniatures to large doubles. Mine are all overplanted with summer flowering plants, Lilies or Fuchsias, and even Roses.

Now, they'll get a good feed in the next couple of weeks and then when the other plants get fed then so will they. Now you can see why I left the feedy bit to the end :)

3. kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,858
    When my tulips and daffodils have flowered, I take them out as they are, put them in onion sacks and hang them on hooks in the garage to die back. Then I get rid of what bits are left iand leave the bulbs in the sack until I replant them again in late autumn.I didn't know whether you could do this or not so just had a go. The bulbs were fine and re-flowered this ŷear.

Although my spring tubs and baskets look lovely now, I need the pots and baskets again for the summer plants.

4. fuchsialady

fuchsialady Gardener

Ratings:
    +16
    Most of the pots are full of daffs so I can't overplant them (although there is one not very full so I probably will stick something else in - thanks for that idea!). It just seemed like a good idea to have a mass of flowers in the back while there was nothing else and I had some spare pots. I don't have the time/energy to lift them and dry them out so they'll have to stay where they are.
    Will they be ok left alone?

5. CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,523
    I used seaweed feed on my potted bulbs last year and they have come back ok.

6. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fuchsialady,

Just make sure that they don't dry out completely during the Summer. Can't you just sow some annuals on the top the pots and sprinkle a little compost over them. I'm thinking something like Candytuft, Godetia, Clarkia, Cornflower or other hardy annuals.