Dafs and Crocus in pots....

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by L plate gardener, Feb 28, 2009.

1. L plate gardener

L plate gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Just wondering...

all my planting is done in pots, I had a load of big pots sat doing nothing after my tomatoes all died off last year... so I planted dafodils and crocus in them, which are all now coming through great ...

but my question is, with them being in pots, after they die off hopefully my other things will be ready to go in the pots...

as in the ground they would just come back wouldnt they,

but ill have to take them out of the pots once they die off, as i need the pots!!

are the bulbs anygood for next year :cnfs::cnfs::cnfs:

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    They should be - it's all down to how you store them I think. I am rubbish at storing bulbs. Either I don't do it properly so they end up getting mouldy or I forget where they've been stored.

I know certain bulbs do better than others when stored - hyacinths for example. Never tried it with daffs or crocuses though.

3. L plate gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Aaron I guess it is trial and error!!!

4. digger1

digger1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    On a similar line, I too planted my bulbs in pots this year as we are sorting the garden out. Is it better to dig the bulbs out when they have died off and store them or re-plant them out in the actual garden ready for next year?

5. joyce42

joyce42 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Just dig a hole put the whole lot in till the tops die down , separate them later if you like ,they'll grow again anyway even if you don't separate them.

6. L plate gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    ok that answers Toni's question, but mine still stands as i dont want them in the ground, i wanted to know if i could somehow keep them til next year. anyone??

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Somewhere dry I would think. You will need to wait until the greenery withers away.

8. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    I've never stored bulbs but my elderly neighbor digs them up each Fall, and he stores them in brown paper bags, and puts them on a shelf in his basement, i've been told its best to put them somewhere dark.

9. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Its dark in the ground:gnthb:

I'd love to lift mine. They use up valuable planting space in summer as I can't put anything above them, for fear of digging into them (its happened before). If I could lift them and replant (in pots or wherever takes my fancy) it would make life a lot easier, but I want to be sure it won't be detrimental to them.

10. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    :hehe::hehe: True, its dark in the ground, but in Canada with our winters, alot of things cant stay in the ground and have to be dug out, and thats when the neighbor digs them out and stores them in the closet in brown paper bags :hehe::thumb:

11. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I have my daffs and tulips in large pots and I plant summer plants on top of them. I don't lift the bulbs out because I know I'll only lose them. So far it seems to have worked for me.

12. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41