Dahlia and Lilium planting times

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Paul Blackburn, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I have just bought 2 Lilium bulbs and 1Dahlia bulb the pack says plant Lilium Jan onwards and the Dahlia March onwards I want to put these in containers.Could I do that now and put the containers in the greenhouse untill it warms up.It says 1 on the Dahlia pack but there seem to be lots of roots how do I plant it do I plant the whole lot or do I leave something coming out of the ground.It is a bit confusing as to what I have got in the Dahlia pack.Any advice appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,649
      Treat the Dahlia tubers with care, they can damage easily. This photo shows what is what:
      [​IMG]

The 'eyes' are the new growing points, you need to have them buried just under the soil surface, with the old stalk just above the surface. I start my Dahlias off in March in trays, but I have a heated greenhouse. They are frost tender so if you don't have heat then wait until the last frost before planting out.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
        +52
        Would it be ok to plant them in the pot and then put them in my unheated green house untill there is no more chance of frost and then bring the pot out.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +45,649
        I would not chance leaving dahlias in an unheated greenhouse at this time of year. It depends what you are trying to do, bring them on early? I leave some of my less precious Dahlias in the ground over-winter, some die but others survive and poke their new shoots above ground in late May without any help.