Dahlia: bounce back or give up?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by PetalPushingNovice, Jun 21, 2024.

1. PetalPushingNovice

PetalPushingNovice Gardener

Ratings:
    +95
    I have planted out a few different dahlia into the same flower bed, they all got attacked by something, but some have survived and starting to flower, some look like I may have to give up on..... does anyone know if they will bounce back or if past the point of no return? Any advice on how to aid recovery would be much appreciated!

20240621_161018077_iOS.jpg Dahlia 3.jpg 20240621_160857968_iOS-1718991174952.png

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    With Dahlias you have probably 4 months to go, so dont give up on them, just try to keep the slugs off.

• Like Like x 2
    • PetalPushingNovice

PetalPushingNovice Gardener

Ratings:
      +95
      So do you think it's slugs then? I was resisting the urge to get some organic pellets. I had bought a couple of replacements that could also be planted elsewhere, but if they are also going to get eaten I may have to give in and purchase the slug pellets, thanks @pete!

• Like Like x 1
      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +23,862
        They're fine and will soon get into their stride. Early on I always go liberal with the slug pellets

• Like Like x 2
        • BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
          Ratings:
          +1,549
          Even if you don't get many flowers, the leaves will feed the tubers for next year.
          I grow mine in containers so that I can keep an eye out for slugs and snails. You can always move the container into the spot where you would've planted the tuber when they're in full bloom

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +92,075
            Yeah, go for some pellets or beer traps, if the weather dries out from now on the problem will mostly disappear as growth gets stronger with warmer weather.

• Like Like x 1
            • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
              Ratings:
              +22,571
              Molluscs are more partial to some varieties than others, at least in my garden.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                Ratings:
                +4,485
                Mine are grown on in pots, and they have to be put in 'moats' most of the time to keep slugs off them, until they're big enough to cope. That's been a real nuisance, but it's the only way I can get growth. Some are more able than others, but it's hard to know which ones until they get eaten.
                This year has been even worse because there's been no winter to speak of [for us anyway] and they've been reproducing like mad. Slug pellets can be difficult to get right IMO, and I refuse to have beer anywhere in the vicinity for reasons I won't go into here.

In the ground, they just get eaten as soon as they have any green showing. I had one plant [large tuber] which had overwintered very well. As I was short of pots big enough for climbers, I took it out the one it was in [and being eaten] and stuck it in a temporary bed against the house wall. It has virtually no growth because as soon as anything appears, it's eaten. This was a dahlia which was very vigorous last year, and grown from a cutting I took off the original plant.