Damn Damson Tree Roots

Discussion in 'Trees' started by ROGordon, May 20, 2009.

1. ROGordon

ROGordon Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got two Damson Trees at the bottom of my garden which have been there for over 25 years although I have only been living here for 4.

We pruned them back when we first moved in and the fruit off them is unbelievable - the neighbours come round at harvest time and load up wheel barrows!

The problem I have is that the root network is clearly stretching across a large portion of my garden and little damson trees are attemting to pop up all over the place. By the washing pole, under my fir trees, in the middle of the lawn, by the fence - you get the picture.

I cut these down regularly and yet it makes absolutely no difference, the little ******s grow back even more determined.

Please help - I would happily lose the trees and their fruit to be rid of the root problem but I don't know where to begin.

Help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gordon

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Pests ain't they? We have the same problem with them and with wild plums. The new trees are suckers coming from the roots. You either sever the roots a short distance from the trees and removed them or you remove the trees altogether (and the roots 'cos they will continue to sucker even when the main tree is dead.)
    To begin with, take a spade and go down as far as you can around the tree, about a couple of metres away from the trunk and chop off every root you find. Then, unless that involves destroying your garden, pull out as many of the roots as you can find which are growing where you do not want them. Otherwise you will have to keep on removing the suckers until the roots die (a long time). You can put SBK on the suckers or Roundup without killing the main tree. Finally do not cut the suckers, find the point of origin on the root and cut sucker and root off rogether.
    Best of luck!

3. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Quick, easy but pricey: Stumpgrinder. You'll be done in an hour and have a nice fine tilth left instead.

Long, hard but cheaper: Pickaxe, digging bar, handsaw and a bucket of elbow grease. Get diggin'