Damping off disease

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by GardenGuru, Apr 4, 2008.

1. GardenGuru

GardenGuru Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a greenhouse up since february now andhave sewn seeds. Most came up fine but some like the sunflower and cup and saucer plants, and wildflower varieties did not come up at all. On some of the plants i noticed a green moss on the compost surface. Also, some seedlings withered shortly after emerging. So, i have re-planted the unsuccesful seeds and i am now watering them with chestnut compound. I have heard this is good at stopping this disease. Is the moss a different thing to damping off disease, and is the chestnut compound going to stop the disease in my newly planted seeds?

thank you.

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi GG, and welcome. Yes moss is not the same as damping off. Moss appears in compost that has been around a long time and is too wet. It grows from moss spores that are probably around everywhere, but it thrives in damp places. Cheshunt compound won't have any effect on that. Moss by itself is harmless, but the conditions that caused the moss are not good for seeds.

Damping off really means mould. This is caused by excessive humidity - ie too wet. Its not a disease of the plant as such, the plant is attacked by the mould, which grows on very wet compost. Any seedlings removed, repotted and open to air circulation stand a good chance of survival. But I would spray them with Cheshunt compound to discourage any mould in the new environment.

I only ever sow half the packet of seed - just in case you get a disaster. You then have a second chance. Have a look at this thread - I think it covers a lot of the ground http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000646