Damping off.....your experiences/solutions please!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by r2oo, Jan 25, 2007.

1. r2oo

r2oo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, some of you may have read in another one of my threads, the problem I am having with seedlings 'Damping off'. I have to admit that this is mainly due to my in-experience when it comes to propagating seed.
    I have since found out that i have conducted the following basic errors:
    1.Watering from the top every day.
    2.Leaving the vents closed on the heated propagator.
    3.Watering too much.

I think that these two are the main cause of the problem.

What I would like to know are your experiences with 'Damping off' & what you have done or do to prevent/remedy it.
    It seems that 'Damping off happens so quickly that there is not really any remedy. Prevention is the best option.

How do you water your seedlings, from the bottom? but how exactly?

I have heard of the following measures & would like to know if any of you have used them & the results:
    1.Cheshunt Compound
    2.Sand on the surface
    3.Camomile Tea solution
    4.Any others?

Thanks Guys

2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Damping of is caused by a fungus so hygene at sowing time is very important. Used seed trays etc should be cleaned by washing them in hot water.
    I water trays of seeds by standing them in trays of water for about 10 minutes until the compost is wet then allow to drain.
    If using ordinary potting compost for sowing, adding a some sharp sand into the seed compost aids drainage and helps to stop it going sour.
    I usually cover seeds with vermiculite which also seems to help.
    Overwatering could also cause the problem, only water when needed which should not be every day.
    Lastly, never use water from a water butt for young seedlings as it carries lots of microbes. Use tap water warmed to room temperature.
    Perhaps others will have more ideas for you. Good luck. [​IMG]

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    The list Blackthorn gives is pretty comprehensive - all good practice :D

The only things I can add are:-

1) the tap water should be left to stand, not ust to adjust temperature, but to let chlorine, etc in the water to settle

2) many people sterilise their compost by putting it in the oven or microwave. I don't do this myself, as I feel the seed compost is sterile enough.

This link seems very sensible....

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1167.html

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I don't generally water seedlings as such. I find that watered compost can get very wet. And it never really drains much as capilliary action holds the water in place. I mix two thirds compost and one third sand with enough water to make the mix moist but not wet. Then put it into trays and sow the seeds, covering with a cheap plastic cover that doesn't have any ventilation. After sowing I mist with a solution of Cheshunt compound to wet the seeds a bit. After they germinate I mist daily with the cheshunt compound or pure water. There is no ventilation until the covers come off completely but I have never had any problem with damping off. I do this to avoid knocking the tiny seedlings over when watering as much as to avoid damping off. But it seems to work. As I don't have a greenhouse, my seed trays are in the dinning room.

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I don't think it is stictly true Dendy about compost being sterile enough I don't think it is I would certainly microwave it as a extra precaution

6. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    One of my friends always does it, Walnut, but I only do it for things I've had a problem with, like basil...

How long do you zap it for? I've always used the main oven, but that's a bit time-consuming if you're doing a lot, and as we've got a new oven, Mr D would like it kept for food - strange, isn't it? :D

I found this advice about it on googling:-

"Small quantities of compost can be sterilised in a domestic microwave. Fill a microwaveable bowl with moist compost and cover with microwaveable Clingfilm. Microwave on full power for 10 minutes. Allow to cool before handling or sowing seeds."

Do you suppose that by "moist" they mean damp enough that it will stay together if squeezed?

7. r2oo

r2oo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I use that sort of thing, r200, and put them into a large clear plastic bag, rather than using a lid, and find that works well.

9. r2oo

r2oo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have 2 propagators at the moment..at what point should i remove the lids?

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    are you growing stuff at the moment, r200? I take the covers off once the seedlings have started to pop up, and put it on over night for a day or two, then leave it off completely, gradually hardening them a bit, so they get a bit sturdier.

11. r2oo

r2oo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am growing them now yes. My only problem with taking the lids off is that the cats are likely to think they are litter trays!!!

12. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Do what Dendy says harden them gradually and get rid of the cats

13. r2oo

r2oo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well thanks walnut!! I think. not particularly helpfull though! [​IMG] would never get rid of the cats.... :confused:

14. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Just keep them in separate places, if that's possible! Have to say, I don't find my cat a problem in this way, and he has caused me in the past to re-design my front garden to stop him using it as his loo.....

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I have three of next doors cats that use my garden as a loo and haunt my fish pond so I don't like them, prefer my garden to cats so r200 if you don't like my advice follow Dendys route