daphne eternal fragrance

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by catztail, Feb 19, 2012.

1. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    Anyone have this and if so how well would you rate it? Am thinking of getting it but its quite expensive so any help and advice would be appreciated!!

2. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    I've not grown this one, Catztail, but the daphne family tends to be a wee bit picky. I grew 'odora marginata' for ten years. It was an absolute joy to have around - the clusters of pink flowers, which look very similar to those of this plant, looked and smelt divine. Then, it suddenly just turned up its toes and died on me for no apparent reason. Lots of people seem to have similar stories. But I'm all for giving things a go if you really want to try them.

3. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I'd be interested in people's thoughts as well because I've ordered three Daphne transatlantica Eternal Fragrance for March delivery. As you said, they are quite pricey - I paid £8 each for 9cm pots.

They are supposed to be fully hardy and easier to grow than the Daphne odora Aureomarginata (which is borderline hardy).

I bought a young Aureomarginata last summer, which is a bit temperamental (thought I was going to lose it at one stage but is now looking pretty healthy with plenty of new growth coming through). We haven't had a really cold winter but if the Eternal Fragrance is supposedly fully hardy then hopefully it will be okay.

Having seen and smelled some at a garden centre last summer, I liked them so much that I thought I'd take a punt.

Thinking about it, I should have bought one from the garden centre because they have a five year guarantee on all their shrubs.

4. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    Where did you order yours from?? Crocus wants 25 quid for 2 plants in 9cm pots!!!!!

5. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I ordered mine from Pottertons Nursery (Pottertons Nursery - Home) but they are no longer on the website (it did say at the time there was limited stock and it was on 5th Feb that I ordered them).

Just did a search for Daphne and they do seem to have a good selection but I will have to try and resist temptation.

• Like Like x 1
    • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
      Ratings:
      +2,250
      Booger!! Ah well I may search around a bit more before I order. Have to take into account postage cost too. They are getting extortionate these days!!!