Datura, Ballerina Tatu

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rosa, May 17, 2009.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    ive just bought some seeds of datura ballerina tatu they are an exotic flower great for pots it says on packet for covered places like conservatories, ive planted my seeds in a hanging pot on my balcony although my balcony is covered does anyone know iff they will grow ok on my balcony

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    With luck and skill (which you have) I think they will do allright on your balcony Rosa.

I'm in Perthshire and one of my neighbours grows Datura with good success. He overwinters them in the greenhouse but puts them out in the garden in the summer and they are lovely.

Good luck with the project.

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,471
    Rosa, there is still confusion even in the trade as to describing these plants correctly, Datura is an annual and the flowers point upward.
    The other, Brugmansia, is perennial and the flowers hang down.

Alot of mags and papers advertise Datura but show a Brugmansia

Datura will grow outside ok but the seed will need some heat to germinate, not sure about being in a hanging pot.
    They also are poisonous, Datura is known as the Thorn Apple as it has a toxic thorny fruit, you don't want those fallling on peoples heads if blown off by the wind.:(
    I haven't intentially meant to put you off but just thought you may not know.:flag:

Walnut will give the best advice.

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,092
    :) Hi Rosa ... you're balcony is looking choc-a-bloc as we always expect it to look and full of interest and colour .... :gnthb:

I fully agree with strongy regarding your Datura seeds ... I don't think they will work in your hanging basket .... my goodness, I had difficulty with a fully grown plant here in the ground I hate to say and I lost it. :(

Hopefully walnut will come along and read this and give you tip-top advice.

5. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
  6. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thanks for all advice everyone, ive planted the seeds now will wait and see what happens with them, iff they do grow fair enough will put pics up iff not ive not lost anything, when i saw them i just thought they would look great were i have put them, victoria they are not in a hanging basket have them in a planter hanging on the wall near my back door so it fairly closed in were they are and the sun does come in to my balcony

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Alice thanks for link, ive just looked and thats excactly what i have got the johnsons Datura it does state for containers so with that in mind they might grow ok, i was with my friend when we saw them shes very much into gardening and she said they should work ok on my balcony, she loved them but said they would be no good in her garden.

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Rosa,the shelter on your balcony will suit them because when they flower as Strongy says the flowers point up, and they tend to get ruined with the rain,they germinate best at around 70f and will grow well in a large container,the metel varieties grow to about 2ft and require feeding well, best grown as an annual.

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi walnut, thats great news, they will be sheltered were i have put them, looking forward to them growing will put pics up then