Datura pests

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by carolla1, Mar 26, 2009.

1. carolla1

carolla1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a Datura for two years now but something always eats the leaves.I always spray it with vine weavel compound but it doesn,t stop.I take it in for the winter and it is free of holes while inside but would like advice on a solution.thanks Carolla 1 Leicester.

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Carolla,it could be slugs ,snails, caterpillars or all three you need to be vigilant and check daily,any signs of new damage turn the leaf over there is a a green caterpillar that blends with the leaves and is a devil to spot, pick them off and squash them it's not worth using sprays for one plant,slugs and snails try a band of copper tape around the main stem to stop them crawling up,another tip I will try this year is to make a collar of roofing felt put this at ground level round the stem apparently no creepy crawlies will pass it,any chance of a picture of your Datura/Brugmansia?

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,062
    I'm not sure what the pest is but I have noticed a problem with mine on occasions.

Its one of those nasty little bugs that eat the newly developing leaves in the shoot tips.

As the leaf grows the holes get bigger and tend to be a bit deformed.

Could yours be something similar Carolla?