David Austin Rose Shrub Eventual Size

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Danny30, Aug 24, 2023.

1. Danny30

Danny30 Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all, I have been planting numerous David Austin roses this summer and following their labelled distance guidelines, however I was seeing some people online, mainly from the US, claiming that there roses grew much bigger then the 4 ft size that is labelled by DA. I just wanted to see what peoples experience was with the sizes of their DA rose shrubs?

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,893
    It can vary from each variety , I wouldn't judge how they grow in the USA to here . for a start I think they are grown on a different root stock. Which ones have you got ?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • glengarry23

glengarry23 Head Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +5,252
      @Perki ,..i agree with you on the difference of root stock in the USA compared to the UK and Ireland,..we tend to have a root stock from Rose ('Rosa Laxa') in the USA they root stock tends to be from Rose ('Rosa Dr Huey'),..another point is that not all roses labeled 'David Austin',..are as such,..just sold by 'David Austin'.

• Danny30

Danny30 Gardener

Ratings:
      +20
      Thanks, I have Gertrude Jekyll, Gabrial Oak, Lady of Shallot, Sceptre Isle and Golden Celebration so far.

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,893
      I do have some of these roses you have - I've only had gabriel oak a couple of years and it struggled first year so can't give it a fair opinion yet but its doing well this year.

But I do have Lady of shallot which can exceed 4ft if you let it would make a good tall shrub or short climbing rose, but I do mange to keep mine to a manageable size probably is 4ft tall by late summer.

Also have Golden celebration beautiful flowers black spot magnet mine isn't a strong grower I wish it would grow taller it probably about 100cm tall and I've had it for years , other people who have grown it though have struggled to rein in strong growing stems.

I bought my mum Gertrude a good few years ago nice roses great scent but its very difficult to keep as a shrub rose it is far more suited to be a climbing rose and a excellent climbing it would be.

Not grown Sceptre Isle .

• Like Like x 1
      • Danny30

Danny30 Gardener

Ratings:
        +20
        Thank you for all the helpful answers. I have a lady of shallot rose from DA for example which says 4ft x 4ft but many people claim that it gets much bigger e.g 5ft - 5ft. Very hard to plan distances on roses by the looks of it as the labelled info doesn't seem accurate, particularly on more vigorous roses.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,352
        and dont forget snip snip if it get too tall

• wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,629
        Good morning @Danny30 you get a lot of Roses that can be short climbers the height of the Rose is determined by how tall you want it to grow in many cases a good example is the Rose "Queen Elizabeth" I have one I grow as a climber (6/7ft)and one that I grow as a shrub which I keep at 4ft:smile:

• Like Like x 3
        • Useful Useful x 1