DE FRAG

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by pamsdish, Nov 16, 2008.

1. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Hi all
    I was trying to defrag to see if it would solve my slow start up problem,and it said i needed to free up some space ?, anyway on looking through my programmes i see Adobe updater about 6 times can i delete them and just keep Adobe 8 i think it is the highest at the moment :halp:

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,866
    Adobe updater is (as far as I know) the autoupdate feature of adobe products. I think you can turn it off but otherwise it checks for updates all the time.
    Does it load as a part of your startup routine?

3. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    It was the adobe flash player i was having loads of trouble with so i deleted that ,i have java about 5 times aswell

4. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Pam, you'll find that they are add-ons to the origional programme, Delete them and you could loose some of the functions of the programme.

There's always deleting the lot and installing the newest version and turning off the updates and updating manually instead of automatically.

5. stuey

stuey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Might also be worth downloading a tool called CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.

I use it on a regular basis.

6. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    CCleaner is a good option I use that on my own pc, another reason for slow start-ups is unnecessary programs adding themselves to be started on windows login. you stop this from happening with ccleaner by going to Tools -->Startup and then click disable on all the ones other than your antivirus/firewall and such

7. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Hi Carl
    I went to tools on that cleaner programme and it listed all my programmes but there was no disable button that i could see ,and in the list was mc afee and firefox so i was worried it was going to delete everything
    so i left it

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Pam, go into, accessories, system tools, disk cleanup. That will tell you what you can dump and what space you will free. Then defrag.:thumb:

9. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I do the clean up quite regularily Dai, but when i try to defrag it says it needs 15mb-or whatevers and i dont have that so it cant do it properly :dh:

10. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Pam, you could try Advanced Disk Cleaner. This is a freeware programme, and can be downloaded from www.majorgeeks.com . Go to the menu on the left of the homepage, click on Drive Cleaners, then scroll down until you find Advanced Disk Cleaner.:thumb: I`ve used this proramme for a few years now, and find it very good.

11. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    What size is your HDD and how full is it? From what you've said it sounds like your HDD is pretty well near full and to do a defrag you need a bit of space for the re-shuffling of files to work. What version of Windows are you using?

To see the capacity of your HHD you can click on 'My Computer'/'Local Disc: C 'and then 'right click' on 'Properties'. It should show the used and free space on your HDD.

See here for info, but much depends on which version of Windows you are using >
    http://www.microsoft.com/AtWork/getstarted/speed.mspx

12. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Hi Dave
    I really hope you are not 98 ,i will be mortified, :wink:
    it says i have used nearly 17 million of something and i have a million and a half left of them, :thmb:
    i have windows xp which according to the label had 40gb hdd when it was new ? :cnfs:

13. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    My age? I'm only kidding, I'm not 98 until next year:old:

Your HDD is very small if it is 40GB (I suspect that that figure relates to the space taken up by Windows XP). Have another look at Local Disc C. Go to START, click on MY COMPUTER then Right click on Local Disc C and select Properties from the pop-up menu. You should then see a screen like the one below.

The blue section of the pie chart shows the used space on the disc and the pink the free space. You'll also see the used and free space and disc size as numbers. If the free space on your HDD is very small you'll probably need to delete some files in order to do a de-frag as the de-frag process shuffles files about and needs a bit of elbow room.
    [align=center]:old:

[​IMG][/align]

14. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    OK done that and deleted a load of files the java was on 6 times and read the site and you can safely delete all but the latest,
    got my free space up to 15% and have defragged twice now to be sure :thumb: :gnthb: why does all the info go onto the c and the d section is 99% free

15. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    At time's like this I'm glad I use Ubuntu no defrag, no viruses/spyware, no registry to corrupt. Brilliant!:wuvu: