dead clematis

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by davido, Mar 15, 2006.

1. davido

davido Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a clematis amandii (i think!)And it stayed beautifully green and lush all winter but last sunday I went into the garden and it's gone dry and crispy. We had colder weather earlier on so what can have happened?

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Davido - amandii as you say is evergreen, but like all clematis can be affected by clematis wilt. As other's have advised don't give up on it - even if it is clematis wilt, then there is every chance that it will reappear next year, if not this. (mine did that and it did fine after that)

Clematis do like a cool root run - and like to be planted deeper than a lot of plants.

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Are you sure it just hasn't been too dry? If this was the problem then It might resprout with some water or rain- sounds daft I know but I've had some periods this winter since christmas when I needed to water containers. Now it's gone to the other extreme. I hope it hasn't died, how big was it?