dead goldfinches

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by berarde, Mar 30, 2024.

1. berarde

berarde Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I found a dead goldfinch yesterday and another this morning in the same place in front of my garden workshop in the back garden. About 6 weeks ago there was one in the same spot very much alive but I thought it may have a broken wing as i was able to approach right up to it ,but whilst deciding what to do it had flown off.

Both of the dead ones looked healthy, no sign that they had been attacked and I clean out the feeders once a week and use bird disinfectant too. I have two feeders one washed and one in action , so I don't see how it it can be my feeding process. I do have catch trays suspended under the feeders, but these get a weekly wash and disinfect too.

This is distressing, any one with experience to understand?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,759
      Does the workshop have a window? They might be seeing their own reflection and flying at it thinking it's a competitor.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • KT53

KT53 Gardener

Retired and clapped out.
        Ratings:
        +458
        This seems to be more of a problem over the past couple of years, or at least it being posted about more. For the past 2 years we've had a Great Tit which lands on one of the handles of our patio doors and goes nuts at the reflection. Only one bird, I assume it's the same one, does it.

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +29,477
        My only thoughts are window collisions as I have had Siskin, Goldcrest and Goldfinch hits.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,485
        It certainly sounds like a window event. I occasionally get young dunnocks hitting the bedroom windows, which - ironically, are the smallest on the back of the house. It's the proximity to the flight path en route to another garden though, so I think that's the reason. They just misjudge it.
        Perhaps @berarde could add some more info, but it's the most likely reason.

• berarde

Ratings:
        +5
        Thanks yes the glass in the workshop doors will be it , makes sense and this morning looking out of an upstairs window I saw that I had one of the chainsaw owls in the shed for some yacht varnish and it's upper half with the two eyes visible so I think they have flown into the glass attempting to attack the owl. I understand that finches can be quite aggressive.
        .I'll put he owls onto the patio and see if the finches attack, but at least they won't kill themselves.

I love the owls they really do look at you with inscrutable gaze, which shows that an artistic interpretation really can bring out the essence of "owlness"

Attached Files:

• berarde

Ratings:
        +5
        By the way nice to see fairygirl is on the forum here, very knowledgeable and helpful!

• Agree Agree x 2
        • On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,502
          We have had the same with goldfinches flying at our conservatory glass. Odd though it doesn't happen with the sparrows, blue tits, great tits, long tail tits...just goldfinches.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +22,571
          I have the occasional pigeon flying into the windows and last year a young crow broke its neck on hitting the window. It was being pecked at by seagulls by the time I got outside to pick it up and see if it had survived.