Decided it was time I did my Christmas cards ....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Daisies, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    and I have this document saved with all the addresses on it. Just have to check it out and print off the labels, Easy peasy.

Except I reformatted my desk-top recently, didn't I? [​IMG]

Never mind, I'm sure I saved them on my meory stick - I save EVERYTHING onto my memory stick.

Now my desk top is upstairs - laptop, memory sticks and lots of other stuff all downstairs. I come down and get the sitck I think has the info on it. Nothing.

Back downstairs for the others. Still nothing. hmmm

Then I remember I have another stick in the laptop - ostensibly full of all My Pictures, but you never know. Back downstairs and up again.

Nothing!

then ah!! [​IMG] I have an external hard drive - bound to be on there!

Back downstairs - and up with the EHD which I go to plug in - wrong USB lead!

Downstairs - this time I'm getting clever - I take ALL my USB leads back up with me. Get it plugged in.

Rats - no software on the pc - got to install it. Ferret around for the CD, find it and install

"No device recognised" HUH?? [​IMG]

Ah - haven't switched it on. Switch it on. Nothing happens. [​IMG]need the main cable which is

downstairs ......

Go fetch it (and the other 3 that are in the box - getting canny now!)

Plug it all in. STILL not recognising the device! Rats - give up on this. I'll type all the addresses by hand from my Palm top.

But hey - why do that when I can copy/paste from the back up.

But ....

no software installed

The cd is

downstairs!!

Fetch the cd and install it. Hang it, I haven't got the USB cable for the Palm. It is

downstairs!!

Fetch it and plug everything in. Install software. Restart computer. Hot-Synch the Palm which is supposed to dublicate everything on the Palm into the programme on the PC. Everything wirrs and tings satisfyingly.

I rub my hands - NOW I'll be able to start on my Christmas card list.

Open the programme

- it's empty!

Did it three more times and each time it SAID it had synchronised the contents of the Palm with that on the PC but didn't.

Now I unplug everything and give up!

[​IMG]

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Now I unplug everything and give up!...... and then go back to the old fashioned way and write out all the addresses by hand.Thanks for that Daisees I havn't had a good laugh like that in years,you sound a bit like me,that is the sort of thing I would do....If I was more Computer Literate:gnthb::lollol::hehe:

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Made my day............... thanks for the larf
    Mrs Capney keeps a list inside the christmas card box...
    thats easy..
    no USB..HDD..stick or cables.
    all you need is a pen.
    robert

4. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    It's supposed to be quicker if you can print your labels :hehe::hehe:

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
  6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    I enjoyed that Daisees .... made me laugh ... at the same time felt sorry for you.

I haven't 'sent' cards since we moved here seven years ago because basically they don't 'do' cards here. Not the 'thing' for any occasion. In saying so, a couple of places sell cards ... very limited choice ... but I'm sure such is available in places like Faro, Lisbon, Oporto, etc.

I just make my own by photographing something and e-mail them to folk. :)

7. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    Daisees---:hehe: Hope you finally got your list.

Anyway, Christmas Cards, I am hit or miss with them, I think they should be sent to people far away. Folks I talk to everyday don't need a merry from me.
    Some folks send me one of those, Christmas letters, you know, the update of the year with all the positive things they did or made or become, children ect, jobs ect. house projects ect.
    One day I will write a reality one and send it.

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    :lollol::lollol:
    I only send cards to family back home in Ireland. Friends over here don't get one, I honesty can't see the point of them, most of the time. And as for the cost of the stamps!

9. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Daisees, I feel sorry for you but had to laugh :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

We stopped sending lots of cards years ago. We used to receive about 300 each year and gave about 200. Then decided that the money we spent could be put to better use so we told all the friends that we see regularly that we would be donating to charity instead, and we would rather that they did the same instead of giving us cards. A lot of them now do the same :gnthb:.

We still send cards to people we rarely see and now only receive about 30. We have also stopped sending lots of postcards from holiday and also give the money to charity. A lot of the postcards we used to send didn't arrive anyway :( because we travel to such out of the way places.

So have a merry Christmas everyone :lollol::lollol::lollol:

10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Bah humbug! This will be the first year I don`t bother with them. The only trouble is the kids like to write theirs out and distribute amongst their friends. I can`t get out of it no how-although I could try to speak to the school about a no card policy on the grounds of ecology.

11. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I've no problem with hand delivered cards. I tend to buy quantities of cards in the sales in January and did it so much I haven't actually bought any cards (except for close family ones) for a bout three years! Next year I might have to.

But when you consider the price of even a really cheap card is something like £1 and the postage is 27p - or 36p if a large one, well the cost is just prohibitive. 20 cards would set you back over £25!!! :doh:

I can think of a lot better things I could do with £25 than spend it on waste paper!

12. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    As a lark though----I 've wanted to send a bunch out from the little town a few miles from me and have that post office stamp the card with their town name.
    Intercourse, PA

13. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Redstar you have to do that, brilliant idea, I wish I could to that even if it was just once :)

I try not to send many it's just my 8 year old and the 80 or so kids in his school that keeps the paper mills going:lol:

14. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Exactly. And that's just sending them in the UK. A lot of our relations are either in Ireland or New Zealand...ouch. Maybe that's why I don't send to anyone else!

15. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Luckily my family are close at hand ,so can deliver by hand mostly. Next year Ive decided I'm going to make my own with photos Ive taken myself. (Jes I must be getting old:hehe: ) 02