Deformed buds, any ideas of cause?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Dorsetmike, May 21, 2007.

1. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas what causes these deformed buds on a rose?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The buds have not developed to anywhere near full size and look almost burnt and wrinkled. Apologies for dark pic, too wet outside for photography.
    I did have the same or similar problem on another rose, but it affected the whole plant, this is only on one branch (so far)
    First occurence was on an Alba, Maiden's Blush, that got so bad we dug it out, this occurence is on a new variety Calypso.

Cheers MIKE

2. Fonzie

Fonzie Gardener

Transportation
    Ratings:
    +15
    I can only think that it has caught a pathogen,and I would venture that it will go the same way as your other rose. I hope I'm wrong.
    Keep an eye on it and if it gets to the point of no return, then dig it up. Good luck.

3. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,637
    I hope I am wrong but It looks like Rose Rosette,If It is they have to be destroyed as any other Roses will suffer the same fate.Or the other possibility is It could be Thrips which can suck the sap from the inside of the buds.Maybe someone else will have a different Idea .Hope this Is some help.