design software

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by roadkill, May 29, 2010.

1. roadkill

roadkill Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any good cheap software out there to design a back garden other than my pen and paper as i would like to 3d view it so i get a good idear what it is going to look like ?

I bought a disc a few years ago for a couple of quid but it wasnt very good and very hard to use not user friendly one bit

2. Surfer

Surfer Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    I would also be interested in this.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
  4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I used Punch Lanscape Pro a few years ago, it was very fiddly but it does 3D and lets you add photos so you can get a very realistic walk-through your design. It lets you create a movie of the walk-through so I put mine onto a DVD to show the rest of the family what I intended to do. I bought it very cheaply at PC World : http://www.punchsoftware.com/index.htm (It is American so the plants and decking are not what you might expect, but you can change and add most things)

I'd give Marley's google sketchup a try first though, I've never used it but for free you can't go wrong and at a qucik glance seems to do everything.

5. AirAssisted

AirAssisted Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Do a search on ebay, there is plenty of software for sale to do the job :)

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi John, I am still getting to grips with the googles sketchup v7 but it is turning out to be just brilliant.. !!! I have tried others but they were either so complex it was too mind blowing or they didn't do enough.... Yet again Google have come up trumps..!!!! I have a design job to do for our Parish council of landscaping a huge area & it is proving invaluable as you can email what you have done back & forth if you want too.. It seems to do everything that I can see one would want & easily as much as allot of software you have to buy.... :thumb: So for me Sketchup is the one...:thumb: