1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Desperate help For my lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Michael neal, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Michael neal

Michael neal Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hi guys and girls.....
    I've just joined as I'm desperate for some advise on my lawn...( or lack of it )

I had it re turfed last year and it seemed to take ...until about a month afterwards it started to look very thin and pale in the corner...
    It was watered as per instruction from installer....

I've tried everything I can think of off the shelf to help it..but it's just getting worse and is just a complete mess....

My soil is very sandy and has a fair few stones in it...

Original installer didn't put in top soil as was told it wasn't needed...which I think is part of the problem along with the soil and the quality of the grass...

I'm thinking of taking the whole lot up..and dig down to put in some pea shingle to help drainage...then top soil and finally new turf...

Am I heading in the right direction ?
    I'm desperate for advise.

Attached Files:

2. Tracy_x

Tracy_x Gardener

Ratings:
    +405
    Been dry for a long time, my lawn also looks awful. Will put more seeds later

3. Michael neal

Ratings:
    +3
    It's way past seeds....the grass is thin and week...and it isn't growing at all...even the bits that are there
    In fact it had a flash over cut yesterday after 3 weeks....it had barely grown 1/2" in that time

4. Michael neal

Ratings:
    +3
    In fact since that pic was taken its got worse...more bare bits than grass...
    It's truly shocking...

5. Tracy_x

Tracy_x Gardener

Ratings:
    +405
    You might need top soil and seeds, do it again

6. Michael neal

Ratings:
    +3
    Not seeding it...it will be new rolled turf ...
    Deffo top soil too... Also thinking pea shingle just in case the sandy soil is draining too slow

Can't seem to get advise on what caused it

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      Am I right in thinking you have children/pets?

It's quite a small area enclosed by fencing and building but have you thought about replacing it with artificial turf that may serve the area better.

• Michael neal

Ratings:
      +3
      Yes I have children...and I have a dog but this was going like this way before the dog

I had a quote for artificial but was nearly £1000...
      Been quoted £300 for full returf with top soil and shingle so in essence I could potentially get it done another 3 times for the same price...

Also if the dog does dig it'll be easier to patch grass than artificial which won't be covered by the 10 year warranty

This is it as of last night...it just one massive dust bowl , god help me when the rain comes image.png

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,089
      If its sandy It will need lots of organic matter and compost and top soil put down. Expensive and it will need watering frequently,expensive if on a meter. The dog peeing on it will damage it also.
      If it was me I think I would ditch the lawn,plant up with plants in clumps that like free draining soil or matching high quality containers and put down a smaller area of artificial turf.

• Michael neal

Ratings:
      +3
      The dogs water has lava stones in it..so his wee doesn't yellow the grass....

As in the original post...I'm digging down pea shingle for drainage the at least 2" of top soil
      Double screened to 10mm..then Turf on top

Watering it wouldn't be a problem...besides isn't it only till it takes in warm/hot/ sunny conditions ?

• Michael neal

Ratings:
      +3
      Well that's the plan anyway ....

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,623
      Or.....how about something different.....raised beds with gravel in between...you can plant up to suit. A bit of colour and nice to look over when you're having a cuppa whilst sat on the decking.:blue thumb:

• Michael neal

Ratings:
      +3
      Basically cause I have young children and a 8 month old puppy/ dog...
      I'd like,to give em something to play on..all be it 20sqm...

I know it's not going to be a bowling green / putting green but some grass rather than what I've got is where I'm at

• mosamahab

mosamahab Gardener

Ratings:
      +53
      That is a small area. Depending how much sun you actually get, I would add several bags of compost, till the area and seed. That will be the cheapest solution.

I am sure you could do that yourself for under £200.

Although, if you don't get enough sunlight, no matter how much you spend grass will die..

• Like Like x 1
      • Michael neal

Ratings:
        +3
        It gets full sun 90% of the day...
        It was bigger but extended the decking 1.5m to get rid of the quagmire that arrived

If I got the bagged top soil it will take 80 bags £200 from wickes (20sqm @ 50cm ) 2 tonne

I think the issue is the sandy soil...