deterants for cats help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by zara, Apr 25, 2006.

1. zara

zara Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have four cats who keep wrecking the garden, tried pepper,wondered if anyone had any great solution to stop them using certain areas as a toilet!!!!

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    It can be unfriendly :( but holy or berberis branches and rose clippings may put them off if you don't mind them laying around. [​IMG]

3. wishaw

wishaw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Poor you!
    We have 4 cats too but they are posh. They are mainly housecats although we do take them with us when we are out in the garden. But they never toilet outside - they go into the house and use their usual cat loo!
    Well at least our neighbours can't complain about the cats, we KNOW that they don't toilet on lawns and flowerbeds. Which is more than can be said about neighbour's Golden Retriever - she loves our garden to do her thing in! :rolleyes:

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    A pump-up water pistol shifts them very quickly if you can catch them at it. After a few direct hits they think twice about returning.

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Yes! Works well on dogs too, especially if you surprise them.
    I have been using prickly rose prunings scattered on bits of ground I don't want the cats to disturb. I have found a green gel stuff [Get Off, I think it was called] effective too, but I didn't like the smell either. Chili powder is effective in dry weather!
    Has anyone managed to try out the coleus caninis plant yet?

6. steeev

steeev Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I jsut took down a fir tree to discover our 2 cats favourite "poo hole".
    After some unpleasant digging to remove ofending articles I planted some mint and sage ... and have had no trouble since.

Mind you ... n odoubt I am yet to discover their new favorite place !

7. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    There's a product called "Lion's Roar" which is, I understand, real lion poo (dried and sanitised, of course!!!!) which you scatter around. It's meant to deter visiting cats giving them a feeling of "Jeepers - don't think I want to mess with their cat!" but not sure if this will be the desired effect on resident puss-cats! [​IMG]

[ 30. April 2006, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: michaelmasdaisy ]

8. GREENTOES

GREENTOES Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Half fill, litre bottles of water screw caps on, and place around the subject area- see Dr greenfingers.co.uk for explanation. Also errect a "washing line" with bamboo and string (tent-pegged to maintain tension), over your plot, then hang junk mail cd's with string onto the washing line as low as you can without touching the plants. sunlight and night light (from housing etc) plays on the discs and bounces off cats and birds (excluding the bobbing robin)dont like it- same principle as bottles. I have a homemade garlic spray recipie to keep away most bugs (off web and am currently trying out) and a fruitfly bait which involves a contribution of urine - haven't tried yet, but if anyones interested. If trying the bottles and cd's let us know how u get on- it certainly is working for me so far!

9. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Curry plants work well, trouble is they are a bit stinky when disturbed.

10. iveonlygotpots

iveonlygotpots Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    we bought my two children water pistols, super soaker things, they keep the cats away during the day (when not in school) and the dog has a good go at them too ........ our neighbours have 5 !! fine for them they dont use thier garden to poo in !!!! just trying to convince the cats that our grden isnt worth messing with !! think our kids are more dangerous than the dog however !!

11. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Please don't use pepper!! Cats have had horrible things happen to their eyes that way :(

I used coa.rse bark chippings and that worked. Marigolds are supposed to put them off but all that did was fed my slugs, lol!

[ 06. June 2006, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: jay ]

12. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Could have pretty horrible things happening to us too, due to the Kat Krap currently distributed around our veg garden.
    Just shifted three piles of krap from a 5 foot row of florence fennel and now in desperation put pepper down.
    If it comes down to OUR veg versus the neighbour's moggie's best option site for a sh.t, I'll take whatever steps I can (short of catticide) to protect our crops.
    Last year we lost two out of three young thrushes which are scarce here and a complete nest of blue tits due to neighbours moggies.

Cats. I .........em. (We've unfortunately got one)

13. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I hear stargazer is quite good. :eek:

Seriously, sticks and lots of them, you can't crap where you can't squat. Also chicken pellets seems to put them off too. If irresponsible owners just got their cats in at night it wouldn't be such a problem!!

14. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Honestly the coa.rse bark chippings have kept me cat free for a year now!

15. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    The prob with rough bark is that it isn't all that good on a veg plot. Apart from anything else it takes up nitrogen while decomposing.

Bark does seem to work reasonably well around perennials. We've a large area covered with it and I've only once caught a moggie leaving a deposit.

When I've prepared our main flower bed for annuals in spring I cover it with wire netting so that I don't end up sticking my paws into catty what nots when I plant out.

Only use for a cat in a garden is as the old gardeners would recommend - As fertiliser under a vine ;)