Deterring cats !

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by craigb, Jun 11, 2010.

1. craigb

craigb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a smal veg patch in my back garden, and one particular part which is about 2 meters square and currently growing Parsnips and Salsify seems to be attracting cats who use it as an impromtu litter tray.

I've tried cat pepper to no avail. Anyone got any other suggestions (apart from shotguns as we have 3 cats ourselves, and its probably them !).

Thanks

Craig

2. thelittlegardeners

thelittlegardeners Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm – we've got the same problem as you! Last year a cat dug up all of our beetroot! I was devastated...

Anyway – we've tried several things and our latest trick is curry plants. Someone told us that they don't like the smell (they really pong!) so we've bought a few and dotted them around the garden. We've had a little digging since then but nowhere near as much.

And also – cats don't like water. So we try and keep the top soil pretty moist and this is working a treat. Don't like getting their paws dirty!

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Try using chicken wire cloches over the plants until they get established. Another alternative is some pea netting supported on sticks about 6" above the soil.

4. AirAssisted

AirAssisted Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried getting rid of your cats, or is this a too obvious answer ? :cnfs:

6. craigb

craigb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No....and yes !

Craig

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thought so, try being in an place where the cats (next doors ones) are not expecting you to be and then growling at them, they wont like that at all. Also, little spikes of bamboo in the place where they like pooing may help.

8. Seadog

Seadog Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We too have the same problem with our two cats. The only sure way to keep them off is to erect a fence around the whole growing area (if that's practical), or to cover each bed with netting or chicken wire.

It's a real pain and I have spent endless hours and £s trying to make our patch cat-proof. Good luck

9. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    LOL! My cats would growl back and carry on! :hehe:

10. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL :lollol:

11. EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    How about just setting aside a very small area close to the veg plot which is filled with a mix of sand and soil. The cats may then discover it to be the easier option and leave the veg plot alone.:)

12. thelittlegardeners

thelittlegardeners Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My leeks got trashed by a cat last night :-(
    Managed to salvage most of them but they're not looking too pretty.

13. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Blimey! They must have been on the skunk catnip. It used to be about peace, love, purring and tummy-stroking but now it's got nasty. Are you sure it was a cat? Cats might rearrange a few plants but they don't normally trash an entire crop.