Deterring Tailgater's

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Larkshall, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I went to an airfield about a mile away to fetch a trailer load of pig muck, it was well rotted. I loaded the trailer and there was a slight haze over the load. Drove out of the airfield onto the main road. Within a minute there was a high powered sports car coming up behind, he closed to within three feet of the trailer, got a whiff of ripe pig muck and promptly dropped back about a hundred yards. He stayed back there until I turned off to home.

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Could do with a trailer load, they have introduced a 20mph zone on our estate anyone who sticks to it gets tailgated and some blast their horns and overtake made the roads a dam site more dangerous,they couldn't control the 30mph zone never mind a 20mph zone.

3. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    Don't talk to me about speeders and tailgaters, I'm fed up with being flashed and piped at for doing the correct speed.
    We should have a pig muck spray fitted to give a quick blast if anyone gets to close. LOL

4. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    We have the opposite problem where I live, you get people dawdling on a dual carriageway at 40mph when the inside lane is clear for them to be in. The stretch of road (A127) has recently had a change of speed limit, 70mph down to 50mph now, in the time since the lower peed limit, I have seen much worse driving on the road than before, typically tailgating, and mainly for the above reason, don't get me wrong, I am not one of the talgaters, but, it really does annoy me when people are not driving to the road conditions ie, if the inside lane is clear, use it. when I drove in Germany, the drivers seemed much more courteous and had more road sense than here in the UK.

I also think that this speeind business is a bit of a farce, speed does not actually kill, it is the drivers error, just check the stats for UK Vs German drivers and the death toll on the roads, The Germans have no real limit on their Autobahns, yet are safer. The real problem in this country is the driving too close to the car in front.
    The Highway code is way out of date, yet they are still teaching incorrect stopping distances etc. as well.

I could go on for quite a while about the driving habits and rules etc in the UK, but wont.

Anyway, I have a tailgater deterrant fitted to my car ;) but I only use it for show purposes only :D

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Excellent story Larkshall:) Perhaps all cars should be fitted with some sort of synthetic pig muck scent generator:)

In the meantime, my way of deterring tailgaters is to apply the guidelines set down in the highway code to the letter, called 'braking for two'. I simply slow down considerable to irritate them until they realise what I'm doing and pull back a bit. If it takes them 20 miles to realise, then that's how long we go slow for. It sounds antisocial, but the highway codes says to do this. The logic being that your braking distance effectively doubles because if you have to brake and they can't react in time, your brakes have to restrain the moment of your car plus the moment of theres as they plough into the back of you.

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    A bit like Clueless my OH puts his brakes on with tailgaters and watches them as they have to slam theirs on fast, they always seem to back right off.

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Highway Code recommends slowing down, but not braking if someone is tailgating you.

By the sounds of things, a lot of road users would benefit from re-testing every few years. Especially those who have been driving for 20 years+ but have never had to take a test since.
    As a motorbiker, I am all too aware of dodgy drivers and tailgating is the least of bad road practice!

8. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I would be in favour of a re-test every 5 years. Also, just to clarify, I would never slam the brakes on to scare a tailgater, just slow down steadily (braking if necessary but not hard).

The trouble is, many believe that if the tailgater failed to react, and hit the back of your car, your car would merely be shunted gently forward. This is not necessarily what would happen. As most modern cars have most weight in the front, it is quite possible that the front car would be shunted and spun slightly, which could be very, very nasty if it happened at speed.

9. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I knew someone at my last workplace who got gently shunted forward, whilst almost slowed down to a standstill in a queue on the M25, by some moron behind her who most likely wasn't paying proper attention to the road. She had severe whiplash and was off work for 2 weeks.

Cars have become too easy to drive now. Anti-skid brakes, sensor parking, air bags all contribute to drivers thinking they are invincible. Unfortunately pedestrians, cyclists, motorbikers, horseriders also use the road and don't have the same "cage" surrounding them.

10. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    When I drive my car I don't feel invincible. I have an airbag, seat belt with pre-tensioners, ABS and power steering. None of that will help me very much if a large vehicle hits my car at speed.

You are right though. Too many drivers, especially those in huge 4x4s, think they are invincible.

I have had the curse/blessing of having witnessed more than my fair share of road accidents, either actually seeing it happen, or seeing the immediate aftermath. I say 'curse/blessing' because while it is not pleasant to see, it certainly clears up any false ideas about being invisible. When you see a car so mangled that you can't make out what make or model it might once have been, it does make you realise that that tin box and abs won't make much difference when the old manure hits the fan.

11. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Anti-Lag seems to make them disappear, used it today infact !!!:lollol:

12. Mikkel

Mikkel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Webmaster about the difference in driving in the UK & Germany having done both myself over the years. I have driven in Germany so many times and always felt safe.

Re the A127, I have been following this new speed restriction item via their local paper, because I know it quite well having lived that way years ago. I also read what people say on their website and the complaints of poor driving out-number those caught speeding.

As for Tailgaters, I DO slow down every time I get one, even to putting my hazard lights on and pulling over, forcing them to pass, or drop back. IF they are in that much of a hurry to get from a to b, then why not leave that bit earlier and allow for hold-ups?

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Webmaster said,
    Don't know exactly what you mean here Nathan are you saying it's allright to speed just don't make any mistakes whilst doing it,does it mean these adverts that are on the telly saying if a child gets hit at 20mph with a car it is more likely to survive than one that is hit at 30mph.Popycock of course speed kills because we have morons driving and your never going to solve that problem.

14. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    We have a little red astra I dont know why every one has to tailgate or must overtake us at all costs, I can understand if we drive slow, I keep to the speed limits but when we get out of them just watch them fly past as if all hell has broke free, My astra has feelings you know :hehe:

15. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Driving at speed in built up areas is just plain stupid and inconsiderate.

Driving slowly on the motorway or a NSL road is just as dangerous.