Dianthus dread

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Caz2024, Apr 28, 2024.

1. Caz2024

Caz2024 Apprentice Gardener

IT and gardening novice
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi peeps

I hope you're all enjoying this bit of dry weather we're having.. Good to get finally out in the garden and do some stuff.

Wondering if you could help me..
    I've had a clump of dianthus going out of a container and starting to crowd out the other succulents so decided to take it out split it and transplant into other containers. On doing this I discovered it was quite leggy and started to think I should have been cutting it back similar to a lavender plant however it looked so nice as a clump I didn't want to do this.

Anyway I split the plant and I think I may have done more harm than good.

I will attach photos to indicate my concern. Thanks again for any help offered x

Attached Files:

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,498
    Hi @Caz2024 - they often look like that after winter, and they certainly beenfit from a good chop back in early-ish spring, but the other thing you can do is to add some fine grit mixed with some compost, and fill in the bare bits. Don't bury them as such, but just enough to cover those bare stems at the base.
    You can also trim them back through the season, so that you always have the best stems staying nice and full. I sometimes lose a bit on clumps that are planted in the ground, but a layer of grit and a very small feed usually helps.
    I was looking at a clump today which that had happened to last year, and it's all growing again. Most of them are quite forgiving. You can also take pieces off to use as cuttings - they often take well from that. :smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Caz2024

IT and gardening novice
      Ratings:
      +12
      Brilliant @fairygirl thanks for your feedback very helpful. Going to get the bits out of my brown bin to make cuttings.

Good to see you... so to speak ... I remember you helping me in the GW forum ...

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,498
      Ah - I wondered if you were the same person @Caz2024 :smile:
      You'll get several wee cuttings round a 4 inch pot or so, and just keep a nice gritty mix in there for them. I just stick mine somewhere sheltered and out of too much direct sun, and that usually keeps them happy. They root fairly quickly too, so you can pot them on individually at that point.
      Hope that works well for you. :smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Caz2024

IT and gardening novice
        Ratings:
        +12