Dicentra

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mossy, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Mossy

Mossy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a few Dicentra (Bleeding Heart) bulbs and instructions say plant now but Im worried that the frosts will get to them, please can someone give me advice?
    I dont have a greenhouse, I have put them in the shed for now, still in the packaging. Hope thats ok as Im new to gardening. Dont want to kill them before they get into the soil :(

2. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I've only grown Dicentra from a pot grown plant I'm afraid, but everything I can see from a quick browse suggest that they are hardy bulbs..

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I believe the weather is about to improve (in fact. it's quite mild up here today, compared to the weekend) - so you should be able to plant them soon. The main thing is to get them in the ground as soon as the weather and conditions let you, as they will be better protected in the soil than in a pot, or in you shed or garage - and they're less likely to go mouldy. Good luck - they're lovely plants, and a lot hardier than they look.

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    They are tough cookies! I planted some last spring and they are showing the first red shoots again despite a soil surface that's frozen down to 3 inches, I wouldn't plant them out at the moment if the ground is frozen but put them in a pot and keep under cover or somewhere well sheltered untill the soil warms up a bit. Don't bother lifting them in the autumn though, they'll come through a lot harder winter than we've had this year.

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    I agree with Frogesque, I would put them in a pot for the moment, and protect them. Mine are also showing red shoots, so they clearly want to grow.

The roots are very brittle and easily broken. But if it starts in a pot, you should be able to transfer it into the ground at a later date without disturbing the roots. It is a lovely plant - you will enjoy it.

6. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,598
    Never had problems with Dicentra, pink or white, although it is a bit milder here. Shelter from those easterly winds might help. Don't know if they will flower first year from bulbs particularly as they flower early summer... you might get lucky.

7. Mossy

Mossy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice all, shall let you know how it goes.