Did anyone switch to peat free last year?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Loofah, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,862
    It's the start of another season and I'm considering the switch to peat free this year and making better use of my own compost for pots and sowing.

Having had a quick perusal of the tinterweb I've noticed huge variation so wanted to get anyone's opinion of what they tried last year. Ideally it will be of a similar cost to regular general purpose compost (wishful thinking?!) with, I expect, slightly poorer performance.

So did anyone make the switch?

2. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Andy
    I have tried it a couple of times but have never had good results compaired to peat based ones ..Only my opinion and experience . Others may disagree ..
    Dave

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I've been using New Horizons peat free & not had any problems with it.

Also been using spent mushroom compost, which does contain some peat (the casing layer, about 4 inches is a mixture of peat and chalk) but is a by product.

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +23,862
      Thanks for that Zigs, it looks a tad more expensive than the normal stuff which is as expected so will see if I can grab a few bags and see how I get on!

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Ahh, I was buying it when it was buy 2 get 1 free.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,455
      I just looked on the web and the cheapest I could find that compost was 3.49 for 10 litres. At that rate, last year it would have cost me £1,840 more than the compost I bought at Wickes :rolleyespink: :OUCH: :(

• Like Like x 1
      • Poolcue

Poolcue Gardener

Ratings:
        +67
        Last year I used a bag of Goodwins compost and it was hopeless.This year I have switched back to b&q's multi purpose,its much better.

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        [​IMG]

I find this to be the best, but I mix some topsoil and some well rotted manure with it

the first few times that you water, it takes a while to drain, but after that, it is very good

• davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
        +257
        Blimey Shiney ,thats some compost ..

Dave

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,838
        I really would like to switch to a "peat free" compost this year, but there is no reasonable alternative as yet. So I cannot see me switching for the foreseeable future. The Which? Gardening trial just carried out confirmed that there wasn't an alternative "peat free" compost to even approach the performance and reliability of peat based compost.

Ziggy is using the only New Horizon peat free compost that managed to get a mark of 5 out of ten. But that particular compost is not the General Purpose Peat free compost, it is only for use with Vegetable growing:D

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Thats ok then as I only grow vegetables:dbgrtmb:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,341
        As I posted in another thread
        Beechgrove garden had to do a peat free promotion
        and at the end Jim intimated to the world well I know what I will be using next year (and itimated it would not be peat free)

I expect professional gardeners or experienced amateur gardeners would know the difference
        The beginners like myself and the general public would not know the difference and start a whole new breed of ignorant to the truth gardeners, accepting the results they got were normal

Having said this I agree we need to conserve the planet, for my own grandchildren and their grandchildren
        Though you can not bring back what is gone

So what else is in danger of vanishing if we continue using peat other than the peat itself, as I understand it nothing as what was dependant on peat has already gone

Jack McHammocklasing

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        I'm sure i woudn't have paid as much as Shiney said though, pretty sure I got big bags for £3.95 plus a free one.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        [quote/]

So what else is in danger of vanishing if we continue using peat other than the peat itself, as I understand it nothing as what was dependant on peat has already gone

Jack McHammocklasing[/quote]

Its not that simple Jack, its whole ecosystems.

To get the peat they have to drain the levels, and doing that sods it up for all the wildlife that depends on it.

Birds, frogs newts etc.

If you could go down into the Somerset Levels in Spring & just listen to the sounds around there you would get the picture.

There are creatures down there that you won't find anywhere else.

Bitterns, Bearded Reedlings, Ceti's Warblers etc. Otters, Marsh Frogs.

A conservationist once said, using peat to put on the garden roses was the equivalent of knocking down St Pauls Cathedral & using the rubble to line the garden path.

BBC - Nature UK: Audio slideshow: Sounds of Spring episode 2

• Like Like x 1
        • lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
          Ratings:
          +641