Did someone mention an election?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by pete, Apr 5, 2010.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,115
    Far be it from me to be political:hehe: but there seems to be some rumblings about some kind of election coming along shortly.

We have the usual three, doing there thing, labour want to win, the conservatives want to win, and the lib dems hope they can join up with whoever, in order to get some kind of power.

At the moment it appears that Gordon thinks he is the best bloke to get us out of this mess, ( hang on a minute, wasn't it him that got us into it), along with prudence and TB, (I'm sure thats a disease)
    "No more boom and bust", anyone remember that line?
    Even an idiot like me could see 7 or 8 yrs ago that we could not all carry on living on credit as we were at the time, and the brakes needed to be put on house prices.

Then we have Tony Cameron, (oops, sorry David Cameron), comes over as a bit of a toff trying to be working class, maybe the jogging will help him to fit in with us normal people.

Then there is the other lot, cant think of the blokes name, (does anyone know it?), but he wants to stop spending on roads and throw the money at the railways.
    In a so called civilised country with a third world road, (complete with craters), network, is that a really good idea?

Any thoughts?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    :doh: I am fed up with all 3 of them Pete... Not one of them seems to have much of an idea.. None of them are coming up with anything realistic to be honest in my opinion.. Here we have 1 excellent MP... On a local basis he is very very good & it would probably be hard to find a better one, but sadly his party, nationally & it's election message are not who or what I want to vote for at all...:scratch: This is going to be a hard election this time as it seems so many of are dissatisfied with them all & their failures :mad: ......
    I find it very disheartening all in all Pete & although I will not on principle waste my vote it seems it is going to be very hard to cast it none the less... I am waiting to see if anyone else will join the "3" & come up with a better plan.... I won't hold my breath though as I think there is more to life....

3. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,115
    If we had proportional representation Marley, it may not be that your vote would be "wasted".

I'm in a very similar situation, I know that certain parties "are no hopers", so we tend not to vote for them.
    But is it time we had a more modern kind of election where we can vote for first and second best, a bit like the US, it strikes me that the country, where democracy began is lagging a bit behind in the real world.

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    That'll have been in the ancient city of Athens, about 2,500 years ago then Pete:wink:. Sorry, couldn't help it!

Our local MP is good on a local level, fighting to get a hospital with A&E built in the area, rather than us having to travel 20 miles to the nearest one. However in the expenses debacle last year, he was caught with his snout in the trough with the rest of them, although not as bad as some. It's a safe seat here, so there'll be little or no campaigning by opposition candidates. Shame, as I have a list of questions I wanted to grill them with, before I slammed the door in their faces.

There needs to be a drastic overhaul of the political system in this country. But will the next government consider it?

I get the feeling the smaller parties will get more votes this time, not because people really feel the Greens can do a better job, or the population is racist and want the BNP in power, more as a general dissatisfaction with the main parties. Will tha be enough to give them a wake up call, or even enough to affect the results?

Either way, it'll be us general public that will suffer, whatever happens!

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,115
    OK Arron, always ready to be put right, my history's not that good, was it just Athens or did they let the rest of Greece take part, wouldn't de democratic to exclude the rest, would it.:D

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    A little history lesson then (you did ask).

The Athenians developed their government into the closest representation of what is considered democracy, as in the rule of the people, over the space of 50 years...then set about imposing their system on other city states, whether they liked it or not (sound familar?).

Because the city state of Athens only consisted of 40,000 citizens, all of whom were obliged to sit on the various machinations of government - courts, councils and assembly, there was an almost 100% chance that each citizen would be involved in government at least once. However...women, slaves and resident aliens were not considered citizens, so it was a little biased!:D

Suffice to say, democracy, as in the rule of the people only works if everyone gets involved in government, which is impossible, except in a very, very small citizen body. The system we have now is a far cry from it, but unless we adopt the utopia of the Philosopher King (Plato), there doesn't seem anything better...

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,115
    And I thought we had a complicated system these days.:)

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Actually, it was quite straightforward and worked for several centuries, although the people tended to be influenced by demagogues....(see, humans never change, even several millenia later).

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,674
    Yes there is supposed to be an General Election coming up and we all seem to know when BUT has G.B officially declared the date??()have I missed something?)

10. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,115
    I dont think he has strongy, apparently he is going to tell us all tomorrow,.... I think.

We have a very strange way of running a country, pity we dont get a way that works.:(

11. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    If you're not happy with the system then don't vote. Just write "No suitable candidate" on your slip. :wink: Labour are trying to win an election, Tories aren't telling us anything about what they'll do and the Lib/Dems are worried about railways!! Give us a break. We know we're going to be hit hard via taxes etc. :skp: Can't possibly make an intelligent desicion with these clowns running about.:)

12. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    Well I don't think I like any of the parties. So I am going to vote for the Common Sense party, when I can find out who my local candidate is.

That's the party that's going to ban political correctness, and encourge people to be honest in their speech (and actions). Its going to prosecute people who fail to use common sense. So the magistrates who fined and tagged the lady who sold a goldfish will themselves be prosecuted. And the police who prosecuted a motorist for blowing his nose will also be prosecuted.

Human rights will be given to law abiding citizens, even if that means sometimes they may be removed from criminals.

This party is also going to enforce the law. There would be a debate over whether to make drugs illegal or not. If they are made illegal then drug users would be prosecuted. What is the point of the present system that says drugs are illegal, but when people are caught with them they are told it is all right and let off. Even Super Nanny knows that mixed messages like that encourages bad behaviour.

13. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,674
    Why did he leave it so late???
    What if the Queen said 'no you can't dissolve Parliament, I'm going on holiday for a month':hehe:

The lunatics have been in the Asylum for too long, the other lunatics want to take over the Asylum and the 'other' other lunatics don't stand a chance of taking it over.:scratch:

14. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,167
    :) So.......It's going to be election on TV and Radio for the next forseeable....

Governing this country is an ar*ole of a job for anybody ........Would you want it?

Of one thing I am sure of is IF they could harbour their energy into trying to agree on policy instead of childishly insulting each other every day.............we might get somewhere.

I guess there may be a low turnout this time too.........I wonder why?
    Expenses......Expenses........Expenses..

15. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Here we go...4 weeks of election coverage on the news and media. I'm getting bored of it already!