Did you know? Visit to Parliament.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by roders, Mar 20, 2024.

1. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,093
    Did you know that you can have a free guided tour of The House of Commons and House of Lords ,you have access to this amazing experience with a personal guide, where government decisions have been made for centuries (like them or not).
    It seems very special to wander around those Green and red leather seats ,not allowed to sit on them.
    We just e mailed our local MP asking for a visitors permit and she was happy to oblige no charge……..Lucy Fraser Secretary of State.
    The only disappointment was that we were not allowed to take photographs in the inner sanctum.
    That’s another one off the bucket list

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Mrs Hillard

Mrs Hillard Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +950
      How exciting for you, it's a fascinating place. I used to work there, had a personal tour of some out of bounds areas as well, and I can tell you the ceiling in the Member's Dining Room is worth a fortune alone.
      Am amusing sideline on reflection, I once very nearly spilt Harold Wilson's lunch over his head..

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,063
        I had a wander back in the 80s when we were restoring the ceiling in the house of lords, didn't get to see the commons but had a look around some of the roof as well.
        Lots of scaffolding around then inside and out.

I've kind of forgotten most of what I saw, long time ago and I was working.

• LG_

LG_ Gardener

Ratings:
        +350
        I went on a school trip in that bit of term after taking my 'O'levels, and it was absolutely amazing and one of the treasured experiences of my life (honestly!). I stood at the despatch boxes and sat on the wool sack - don't think you get to do that any more...
        My daughter is doing politics 'A'level and her class visited too.
        One of the other trips we did was to County Hall before the abolition of the GLC, and that was completely fascinating as well :smile:.