Didn't tease potbound roots; should I repot a second time?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by EmFlu, Aug 25, 2022.

?

Should I repot again?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. EmFlu

EmFlu Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all;

Title pretty much says it all. I recognised a few houseplants were outgrowing their containers, so I did the right thing and repotted. But, I didn't know you were supposed to tease (or slice, depending on who you ask) the roots. Is it worth it to pull them out and tease the roots again? or will they figure themselves out? My strawberries in particular did not like being repotted at this time of year.

P.S. Is there a best time to repot?

Plants in questions:
    • 3 ft tall avocado tree
    • 2 ft tall rose
    • 2 alpine strawberry plants

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I'd not bother, cant say I ever do much teasing.:)

If you repot when the plants are actively growing new roots I cant see the point, so if the plant is making new top growth the chances are there are some new white roots forming in the pot.

Spring is best but dont be in too much of a hurry to repot non hardy plants in early spring, they take a bit longer to get going.

3. Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,769
    I always tease my pot plants. I leave them out in the sun with a full watering can next to them, then on an evening I walk up to them carrying a watering can, tip it up, but it's empty :heehee:

Joking aside though, except in very specific circumstances, I only really re pot when the plants are young, and have outgrown their little pots that I start then in. If you time it just right, I don't think it's necessary to tease out any roots. I tend to do it more with shop bought plants that I get cheap from casualty corner, you know the area where all the nearly dead plants go, where they get massively reduced in price. Very often they are so pot bound that you find a good inch of packed tight roots at the bottom. I try to loosen them off before re potting in a larger pot, then give them a good soak and leave them in a slightly shaded area. With a bit of TLC they usually pull through and end up thriving.

• Like Like x 2