Diets

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Doghouse Riley, May 6, 2010.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Anybody had any success with these?

I decided that I was getting a bit too heavy and had put on a fair bit of weight around my middle. I'd crept up to 12st 9lb since taking early retirement 12 years ago, despite playing golf, weather permitting, three times a week.
    So seven weeks ago I went on a diet.

I opened a page in Excel on my computer and tracked my weight daily using a graph, to keep my mind focused. (I kept away from pie charts).
    I've now reached my target weight 11st 7lb. I've lost my tum and all my trousers fit OK and I feel much better for it.

It was a really good diet I was on, very effective and I'd recommend it to anyone.

It's called the "Eat less and cut out a lot of the alcohol" diet.

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Lol, you are quite right Doghouse, it works for me too. Well done. The real secret is, of course, to keep it off now...........that's the bit I struggle with.

3. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    HI Doghouse i think the best way of losing weight is swimming!. i was overweight a number of years ago.i too retired early and over endulged in the relaxed living ,over indulging on the food and bevy, and put on a few pounds .:( i started going to the swimming and i was amazed how unfit i was , short of breath after doing a length in the pool. i started on a programme with the local swimming pool (MARATHON SWIMMING). they give you a card and you note down how many lengths you do each session. you build your stamina gradually by doing extra lengths . i was going to the pool seven days a week,sometimes twice on the same day. after about six months i was swimming 120 to 130 lengths at a time without stopping for a breather .i achieved a gold ,silver,bronze awards for the marathon swimming. ALAS the food and the bevy reared its ugly head again :( . now i dont go daft about losing weight ,i cycle at ease, walk at leisure,

AND DRINK SLOWLY :) music :cool:.

4. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Hi Music!

I did the "swimming" once.

I used to play squash for a club team but had to give it up for a while as I had tennis elbow quite severely. After a cortisone injection I was advised not to go back to playing for six months but to choose another exercise.
    So I started going swimming three times a week after work. I was regularly swimming a mile each night. I found it quite addictive.
    But once I went back playing squash, I only ever swam on holiday.

I've just made a few choices. I no longer insist on having a "pudding" after a meal, I've stopped eating biscuits, but mostly it's just "smaller portions."
    I still have a pint when we go out for a meal two or three times a week.

But I no longer drink a couple of Budweisers each evening.

I don't eat sweets, crisps or have sugar in beverages, or smoke. Giving those up can help those who indulge lose weight, though it wasn't an area which would have helped me.

5. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Well done everyone in their weight loss battles:gnthb:Up to yet I have lost 34lbs in weight since Nov09 and that is mainly due to developing type2 diabetes in January and with meds,diet and even more exercise when my body allows am hoping to keep the weight off especially as I have now gone down two dress sizes and my blood sugar levels are at a good level.:DI have learnt that a diet high in the wrong type of carbs and portion sizes is one reason why we put on weight plus for us women the menapause doesn't help:p

6. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Very good folks:gnthb:

I just don't eat rubbish food and exercise daily and lost three stone four years ago. A bit too much really but when I gave up the smokes I put on 10 lbs and keep the weight constant. Mrs Pal does the 'Point' system:wink:...and has dropped a stone in a month:)

7. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +705
    The points system sounds like Weightwatchers, well done to Mrs. Paladin.

I am really struggling to get weight off this time around, it is depressing :(

8. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,711
    I needed to lose a bit as I nearly reached 11 stone 4 years ago (at 5' 5" that's too heavy) I cut out pies, pasties, biscuits, crisps, cream( I don't eat any of them now) and doubled up on fruit, gone from semi to skimmed milk and have smaller portions. I go to the Gym three times a week.
    We do at least 1 3 to 4 mile walk at the weekend too.
    I must admit it is a struggle to keep around 9 stone as I do put on weight easily.
    Dieting and exercise go hand in hand to aid weight loss.
    Good luck to anyone who is dieting in whatever form.:)

9. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    I think once you get into the routine of "sensible eating" then after a a couple of weeks it becomes easy. Well, it did for me.
    It is disappointing, as having changed your eating habits you tend to lose weight fairly quickly, I lost nine pounds in three weeks, but then you reach a "plateau" where for a while you stop losing weight.
    For me this lasted three weeks where eating more or less the same amount had no effect, but then it started coming off again. I'm sure I will lose a bit more, but I'll be happy if I can keep at 11st 7lb. I've got my waist back and I can fit quite comfortable into trousers that I wore when I was working over ten years ago.
    Of course if I went to the doctors and were weighed by the practice nurse, I bet she'd tell me according to the age/height/weight chart I should lose a stone, but it ain't gonna happen!
    I'll keep weighing myself daily, but I'll allow a few small indulgencies I've been denying myself, but in moderation.

I actually had a cheese and tomato sandwich Wednesday at around 11.00pm, but we'd ate out at a restaurant around 6.00pm (I even had a Peroni) and I'd had only a scone for lunch after playing golf.

10. music

Ratings:
    +2,786
    I am a bit confused to the targets doctors have been given for (HIGH CHOLESTROL ). :scratch:
    i was at the doctors a few weeks ago . the doctor took tests and i returned a week later for the results. the doctor informed me my cholestrol was 5.5 :scratch:. which according to him was high!!
    "FOR SCOTLAND ":scratch: if i lived in ENGLAND it would be satisfactory :scratch:.
    the level for SCOTLAND is 3.5 to 5.0. the level for ENGLAND is 4.5 to 6.0 :scratch: .
    on hearing this i went for >>>>>>> "A PIE AND A PINT" :thumb: music.

11. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413

I had about the same figure for cholesterol after a routine blood test by the practice nurse last year.
    She made an appointment with my doctor, he wasn't that concerned about the level, but gave me the option of going on statins.
    After six weeks it was 2.7. So I still take them, I don't have any side effects.

12. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    There is only one diet that works - calories in is less than calories out.
    Otherwise what you eat is up to you.
    If you doubt that - and to the people who say they eat nothing and just get fatter and fatter - look at Belsen. Nobody came out of there fat.

13. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Portion size matters I think. Can you tell my hubby that please? He keeps piling it on the plate and I can't leave any. Definately his fault that I'm overweight.

Seriously, very well done all. It's hard. As soon as I think about losing weight, I stuff my face:( I think you're right, it is a 'lifestyle' rather than a diet and hopefully I will achieve that lifestyle one day.

Doghouse, that's weird about the different levels isn't it? You'd think that a level was a level, not changed by where you live.

Mind you, I do get sick of all the 'reports' that say eat this, don't eat that, cos they seem to change every few years. I've just read something in the paper that says people who drink more that 4 cups of tea a day are at more risk of getting colon cancer. What or who to believe!

Keep up the good work everyone and Kandy, I'm so pleased to hear it's still going well. Has Mr K stayed off the smokes?

cheers

14. music

Ratings:
    +2,786
    Hi Doghouse Riley, i am also on Statins now, with no side effects . no depression,
    no Sleep disturbance, sexual dysfunction,nothing new:hehe:, no memory loss :cnfs:
    what was i saying:hehe: music :cool:.

15. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Borrowers Thanks for your kind words:luv: Yes Mr Kandy is still off the pipe.It has now been two years and one month since he had his last puff:D.The time has just flown,i still can't believe he did it,although he wasn't happy that he put on weight but has managed to lose 5lbs over the last few months which he found very hard to do.When he was a smoker he was always trim but as soon as he packed it in he got a tum on him which he hated because every time he bent down to do some gardening it got in the way so he is glad that through diet and even more exercise it is starting to get smaller:D