Digital Voice - Telephone Switchover

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shiney, Nov 22, 2023.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,174
    Most of you will know by now that landlines are scheduled to be made extinct by 2025. There may be some exceptions to that.

I have been checking into what happens and, being very non technical, realise that I may need assistance with our complicated setup here in Shineyland.

To set the scene:- we have internet and two landlines. Power cuts are frequent and mobile phone signals are extremely poor. The wifi signal from the router doesn't not reach through the whole of the building (lousy signal and thick walls) so we use mains powerline adapters. All simple so far :phew:

Having had a very good, and long, telephone conversation with BT (even longer than some of my posts on GC! :heehee:) it appears that we shall need two new Smart Hubs, two adapters and two battery backup units. All these 'should' :th scifD36: be provided free of charge.

"Customers who need extra support may be offered a battery backup unit to make sure you can still make calls. The unit will keep you connected for a short time if there is a power cut. We advise that you limit your usage to essential calls only to preserve battery life during any outage. If you believe you will need a battery backup unit, please contact us."

They explained to me how to set it all up when it comes and there is a video on their website. As I am not good at these things I pointed out to them that on their site it mentions about using an engineer. So they have now put down on my record that we shall need all these bits and pieces and an engineer. :blue thumb:

Apparently we shall get about two months notice and then reminders. So that is when I shall need to start harassing them about it :whistle:

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,690
      Having helped a friend switch from the old analogue landline to the new digital 'internet' it was really straightforward. He retained the same handset and phone number, all that was needed was a new cable from the broadband router.

Complications came when he tried his downstairs phone, it didn't work because only the upstairs phone was connected to the router. It just needed another cable and a splitter/adapter, essentially using his existing phone sockets.

I suspect the service providers, such as BT, will have to visit the majority of houses to sort out individual landline configurations. It will be like when Channel 5 went live and engineers had to retune tvs.

Personally we don't use our landline so will be happy to see it go assuming we will save a few bob.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,679
        Any idea if this will effect Virgin phone lines.
        A cable from the router to two phones sounds like a nightmare of wiring going around door frames and under floorboards.
        If it gets put in for free its bound to be the fastest most diabolically awful looking wiring.
        I've seen it before, loads of wire and a staple gun.

• Funny Funny x 1
        • JWK

Ratings:
          +48,690
          Our Virgin phone comes in via the same cable that supplies our broadband so doubt there will be any change. Only guessing though.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +122,174
            I only know the BT system. With adapters more than one phone will work OK. They will use existing phone or power sockets so no extra wires. If your landline phone is not suitable you will be supplied with a phone. They will then try to sell you one of their all singing, all dancing special phones that also has Alexa but you don't have to have it.

Your existing router/hub will work OK if it has the green connector on the back. Otherwise they have to give you the new BT Smart Hub 2. What other service providers do is a mystery to me. Some don't provide a landline service at all.

Our landlines are used a lot.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +91,679
              Mine comes in as one cable from the street but it splits outside and comes in the house in two different places.
              One line goes to the router and the other directly to the phone.

• Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +3,048
                We have just had Full fibre installed and immediately lost the land line. At the moment we have no telephone communication available at all. Befibre do not provide a phone.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                  Ratings:
                  +32,854
                  What are BT doing for the people in the middle of nowhere, will BT replace the old copper wire with fibre?
                  We have just got fibre outside the house after 6 years of a company trying to put it in :biggrin: they started at one end of the lane then went to the other end and left the bit in the middle :th scifD36::doh:then company went bust so it didn't get finnished, but last year new company done the middle bit and also had to replace some of the other fibre cable/ducting :pcthwack:
                  The thing i would like to know is that our router is not close to the main/first socket will the new fible thingy replace the main socket then attach to the wiring in the house, our router is in the middle of the house attacted to the 3rd phone socket and it would be very hard to get fibre cable to where our router is, i don't want to start hit the house about just to get a cable to where it is now
                  If BT are not replacing the old copper with fibre then we will have to change to the only company that is doing fibre but i hate moving just because, or can we stay with BT and it comes through the fibre that another company as put in? abit like other phone companys use BT network

• JWK

Ratings:
                  +48,690
                  I don't know all the answers @Jiffy but as I understand it 'they' will put a new cable from your router to the nearest phone socket. As pete said earlier they will choose the easiest route for themselves,around door frames and skirting boards.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +3,048
                    Oddest thing here was that BT said that they could not give us fibre to the house, but the cable comes from a BT pole in the raod.

• Informative Informative x 1
                    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +4,287
                      The old virgin cables were a figure of 8, one part carrying the Broadband and TV signals, the other part just for the telephone, basically copper cables like the old BT system.

Seems Virgin are also planning to convert existing users with such cables /routers over to digital phones as detailed in this link.

Would assume they will just tell you when to plug your phone into the new router they send you.
                      Will they install it and any phone wiring for you for free ??
                      Reading their Q&A sections, they seem to say "check with your device provider" when referring to any of your handsets or similar, suggesting its not their problem ?

Think as long as you have a good mobile phone signal as an alternative emergency line don't think there is much to worry about, though we keep a second old mobile with a sim on a different network to cover all bases.
                      You can get sims that remain active on one top up for years as long as you make one call once in a while.

How to upgrade your virgin media home phone | Virgin Media Help

• pete

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +91,679
                      The more I hear about this the more I think its just a cobbled together total mess.

Virgin will supply me with an adapter to plug my phone into their hub, my phone is two rooms away from my hub?

I just think its another exercise in getting rid of a service none of them want to supply.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • pete

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +91,679
                        Just reading through the Virgin crap, I assume BT might be similar, but dont know.
                        Will my phone work when the broad band is down or during a power cut?
                        Answer, NO.
                        They can put in an emergency back up line at no extra cost for people who need it.

So why cant they do that for everybody who is paying for the service, :dunno:

I think I will be playing into their hands and dumping the land line, it appears it will be a complete debacle.

The one reliable thing during a power cut was always the phone, it appears, due to "improvements" in technology that will soon be a thing of the past.
                        Lets face it mobiles are not immune from power cuts.

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +4,287
                          @pete, yes everyone is doing it because BT is closing down their analogue copper cable system.

Its called Progress, so they tell us !

You can of course still use other methods like smoke signals ! :)

• Funny Funny x 3
                          • Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +9,684
                            It seems you will only have to plug the adaptor into an electrical socket & then the phone into the hub. It seems it won't be necessary to plug it into your original modem - or I'm reading it wrong! :dunno: