Digitising cine films, slide and 35mm photos

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by JWK, Dec 18, 2012.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I’m sure many of us will be in a similar position to me, having old cine films that we no longer watch or indeed have the capability to watch. Who remembers setting up the living room with black out curtains, a big screen and projector, getting all the family together to watch the last three months of family life captured on 4 minutes of film? Then the projector bulb blew straight away and you had no spare, or the film jammed/broke in the cogs and having to splice it back together ending up with missing a vital bit. Then we did the same with a family slide viewing evening, only spending most of the time viewing them upside down if not back to front.

Anyway back to the point of my post, I’m hoping to get all our old family cine films/photos/slides scanned in over the winter period and viewable on the PC.

35mm PHOTOS
    Most of our family photos are quite well organised in albums so (using my all-in-one printer/scanner) I could scan each album a page at a time. It’s time consuming but the few I’ve tried come out well.

An alternative time-saving idea is to pay to have all the 35mm negatives scanned onto DVD then spend time matching them up to our albums. Trouble is I don’t have negatives for all of them (e.g. photos sent from friends/relatives) and the negatives are all in a big jumble in a shoe box. So I’d have to scan in the few photos that have no matching negative. I wonder if that might be quicker than me scanning in all the photos?

CINE FILMS:
    There are about 4 ½ hours of Super 8 cine footage, I definitely need to pay to get this transferred onto DVD. The prices I’ve seen on the internet seem reasonable and since me and my brother/sisters are splitting the cost we don’t mind having them done professionally. I would love to hear of any personal recommendations for companies offering this service.

SLIDES:
    I’ve got around 300 slides (in 126 format) plus a load more that were my Dad’s (not sure how many or what format yet till I get my hands on them). There are too many to do it myself, I already tried with a cheap slide scanner. It was taking me ages to set up, scan and then post process each slide so I will be looking at getting these done professionally too.

So I’m interested in hearing members’ experiences of getting negatives/photos/slide/film scanned, either themselves or using a shop/web based service or any other thoughts.

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Hi John
    I've used my Epson Perfection scanner for photos, colour slides and colour and b&w negatives as it has a set of slide/negative carriers. I've now scanned several hundred slides, negs and photos and got the, stored on CD roms.

Just last week I started editing and converting (using Magix Edit Pro) a lot of short videos I'd made on our digital cameras so that I can put them onto Video disc and watch them via our CD player on the TV. I've also got a few digital video tapes that I'm about to convert to DVD format.
    Next step will be to convert a half dozen or so analogue video tapes to digital, but to do that I'll have to borrow some hardware from a pal.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      Not much help John.

But you have got to wonder what is best, in a few years DVDs will be defunked and then you will be looking at another format?
      Its crazy.

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,979
        Dave; thanks for your advice. Can you tell me which model of Epson scanner you use and also how long does it take to scan? I have a Brother scanner and it takes a couple of minutes for each one, then the image needs loading into software to be cropped, I can see it taking me a very long time using mine.

For all the videos I had overlooked editing, so I'll have to factor that in too. I will look into Magix Edit Pro thanks.

pete; that's a good point. I'm thinking that once they are digitised I can copy them from DVD onto other computer media, and in future it will just be a software conversion into whatever is the latest format :cool: Anyway I have to do something, right now I can't do anything with them, there are some precious family films going back at least 50 years that my kids have never seen and even to me are fading distant memories.

• Like Like x 1
        • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
          Ratings:
          +3,035
          John; my scanner is an Epson Perfection 1240U and probably now at least 8 years old, so I would think there's probably a newer model available now. I bought the Epson scanner mainly because it had the facility to scan slides and negs by adding a cover that shines a light through them. I can crop at image preview stage if I want to due to the software that came with the scanner.

As far as scanning time goes it probably takes between one and two minutes to set up and scan and then save an image - much depends on size and the resolution you choose. I don't think there's any quick way round this, though I have on occasion used my camera to take digital images of things like sections of maps that are larger than A4 and even at that I don't think it works our any faster given the downloading to PC time etc. I've found that I can save time when scanning 'snaps' by scanning 4 or more at one at high-res and then if needed crop into individual images later.

Like you I'm trying to preserve old family photos for our children and grandchildren and have now made CDs that we can pass on to them. I've no pre 1990s film/video but have a stack of pre-WW1 photos of my family and am currently working on and off on a bio with photos of Mrs W's dad and family - he was one of just a few hundred to escape the Katyn massacre and his photos of pre WWII Poland and Russia are fascinating as are the notes he wrote.

BTW - Magix Edit Pro may not be the very best but it isn't too bad on price. I got mine from Amazon. Still going through a steep learning curve!!!!

• Like Like x 1