Disabled Hosepipe Ban

Discussion in 'Gardening For People With Disabilities' started by arty, Apr 6, 2012.

1. arty

arty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My freind and his wife have acute arhritus and they hold disabled blue badge to confirm this, they will unable to hold a watering can so how does the ban effect them.

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    as far as I know, if you have a blue badge, you are allowed to water with a hose ...

double check with their water company

• Like Like x 1
    • Dopey

Dopey Heathrow Nr Outer Mongolia (sunny south)

LGV Films
      Ratings:
      +100
      You can use one even if you dont have a badge, but you must apply to the water board to be exempt

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +117,264
        Both answers are correct :thumbsup: but there are still restrictions.

As they have blue badges they needn't apply for exemption. They are allowed to use a hand held hose but not a sprinkler. Also, even though they can use the hose they still mustn't use it for watering the lawn or washing the car.

Some people also think that although not exempt they could get someone who has a blue badge to water their garden for them. This is wrong as they are only allowed to use the hose for their own property.

In exceptional circumstances they might get an exemption from those restrictions as well (the water authorities are entitled to set their own rules within the drought order) but I can't think of any reason they would do so.

• Like Like x 1
        • Wobblycogs

Wobblycogs Gardener

retired Interloper
          Ratings:
          +73
          I am grateful I live in a very damp area. Even in the summer of 1976, the hug e lake in the nearby parkland dropped its level only by a couple of inches. I have never known of a hosepipe ban by SSWW (Seldom Seen When Wanted!)

In the 19th century the local lake was in fact a river, until the landowner dammed it to make his ornamental lake; putting several paper-mills out of business in the process. He was obliged to put in sluices as the dam kept overflowing! :roflol:

Wobbly-John (Sans Blue Badge!)

• Like Like x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +117,264
            The last time our water authority brought in a ban they sent me a note renewing my exemption. Two days later they lifted the ban! :snork: