Disappointed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Blueroses, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Well after the very harsh Christmas and pre Christmas weather, I finally got out into the garden to inspect things. I was thrilled to see bulbs shooting through after weeks of being frozen under ice and snow, but gutted to find that my garlic I planted in the Autumn and which had beautiful green shoots before 'the weather', has now got leaves turning yellow and sad looking. I scooped away the soil around one only to find the top broke off and the bulb underneath appears to have gone rotten :@ These were Autumn planting varieties as I has grown in the Spring last year with only very small bulbs to show for it. I was advised to plant in the autumn. Was it just the extreme weather ? Very disappointed...... poo ! :dodgy:

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Yeah, "Poo" indeed :(

Autumn-planting varities do need cold to make the bulbs split, and form cloves in the new bulbs (otherwise you just get large bulbs ...)

So you kinda have to plant in the Autumn ...

There are Autumn varieties like Purple Wight which can be planted until January (they might still get clobbered though). And there are Spring varieties too (although I'm not sure they store so well as Autumn planted ones?)

So time to re-plant - although I don't know if yours have actually had their chips? or are just going to take a short while to recover?

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    [size=medium]What a shame Blueroses.
    I always plant garlic in the autumn and never had a problem until last winter when the weather was so cruel I lost most of the crop. This winter has been much worse so I'm not hopeful. I can't see what the situation is as everythings been under a foot of snow since November.
    You do still have time to replant and you could try this - if the ground is very wet make some drills (like earthed up potatoes) and plant the garlic into the top of the drills. This will help with drainage in wet conditions. Some of the garlic you have may be OK. Good luck to you and me both.