1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Discarding Air Layered Branch

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Nishant, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Nishant

Nishant Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Friends,

This year in June, I had air-layered a branch of Pyracantha in my garden. It has been successful with lots of roots. So far so good.

However I had a change of mind and I want to give the whole bush a tree shape. The branch that I air-layered is quite central to the shape I am contemplating and so I now need to retain that branch.

So my question is: Will there be any problem if I were to just cut-off the new roots and leave the original branch as it was. Will that kill the branch?

Thanks.

2. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +611
    Sorry not sure you might find these sites might help

How should I care for my Pyracantha "red cushion" bonsai tree ...
    A few days ago, I received a Pyracantha bonsai tree as a gift. The labeling says it is an outdoor bonsai, but the conditions outdoors in some parts of the country/world are a lot different than the conditions outdoors in other parts of the country/world! Also, the tree is apparently supposed to have berries now (in the fall), but it doesn't.
    [​IMG]Yahoo fait désormais partie d’Oath
    Layering techniques for Bonsai - Bonsai4me.com
    Air-layering. Air-layering is a similar to ground-layering except that it utilizes branches that are growing off the ground and so the injured bark/rooting point has to be encased with growing media wrapped in polythene (or similar).
    [​IMG]www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATLayering page2.html

3. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,246
    @Nishant It will probably be alright, but it will always look a bit odd where it developed to produce roots.