Disease resistant climbing rose

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Donna Crossman, Oct 22, 2024 at 9:15 PM.

1. Donna Crossman

Donna Crossman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +16
    Hello all
    Is there such a thing as a disease resistant climbing rose?
    I seem to get every disease going in this garden and would love to grow roses over my wooden pergola

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,886
    @Donna Crossman this is one of those questions where it would really help to know your approximate location.
    As where I live in humid Devon black spot is a big problem with roses, over in the drier East of England black spot is far less of a problem.

3. Tidemark

Tidemark Gardener

Long retired
    Ratings:
    +850
    Is there a particular colour that you prefer/hate?

4. CostasK

CostasK Gardener

UI/UX Designer
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

I know you referred to climbing roses but rambling roses have a similar use and are considered much more disease-resistant. Most rambling roses are once-flowering, but there are some which are repeat flowering.

I have Lady Of The Lake, a repeat flowering rambling rose from David Austin: The Lady of the LakeĀ®

I've only had her for about a year so it might be a bit premature, but she's been very healthy for me and the fragrance is gorgeous. The style is simpler than most of the other roses with the high petal count, but that makes her more whimsical and romantic. I still love the others but it's a nice change. I am appreciating her more and more as she grows, and she keeps going up in my personal rankings :smile: She is also pollinator-friendly, which is not always the case with roses.

Attached Files:

5. Alisa

Alisa Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,786
    Claire Austin keeps foliage nice and clean. Downside - very fragile flowers, very short lasting.
    Only this year I finally managed to have a good display. I overfed it with nitrogen, and it loved it.