Disposing of rubble and similar rubbish

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Daisies, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Anyone offer any suggestions? I just had a bigger window put in which a friend did for me. He didn't have room in his car for the rubbish so I gaily said I would get 'a man in' to get rid of it. However I can't for the life of me figure out how to find such a chap!

The rubble consists of a window frame, about a dozen bricks and 4 bags of rubble. Can't be more than about 3 or 4 wheelbarrow loads in total.

I did contact one "man with a van" and he quoted £80 to take it away as he said the charges to dispose were high. Is this so? What do you think would be a reasonable sum to pay?

Though it looks like I've going to have to risk my arthritic shoulders and tote it in my own car!

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Think our local tip charges about £1.50 a bag to tip rubble. Charges are high for a small business as they have to have a waste carriers licence and can only usually take stuff to a landfill site, they can't take trade waste down the recycling centre.

You could try sticking it on freecycle as hardcore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +51,881
      Sadly a lot of local councils now charge commercial vehicles a small fortune to dispose of waste, and the £80 your man with a van has quoted sounds about right (he will be getting about £20 at most in his pocket I reckon);

Anything that is a van or larger will be subject to the commercial charge from the local refuse site - however, they allow householders to dispose of stuff free of charge (nothing bigger than a car). Shame you don't live closer to me, I'd have done it for a cuppa and a smile.

Any neighbours/friends/relatives nearby with a hatchback or estate car?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +32,984
        Becarefull with some people who take rubbish away, some take it some were and dump it then you will be the one that gets fined if they find out who's rubbish it is, they also must have a waste lience to take it away, may be just as cheap to get skip in

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +3,071
          Our local recycling yard is excellent and FREE. The Chaps there are also very very helpful and friendly. They will unload your car for you, no bother.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,061
          You need a friend to help you to take it to the local tip.
          Its not worth trying to get someone to take it away, they will probably charge the earth, then dump it in the nearest layby.

I dont think they charge you,(yet), at our tip for dumping hardcore.

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,951
          This will probably be the easiest and certainly the cheapest option!!

Val

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +51,881
          I still say that maybe a neighbour or a friend might be the best option, particularly if you have arthritis. People are often willing to help, but simply don't know that you need their help - just over a week ago, my neighbours and I were chatting as they passed down the street; they were admiring the flowers in the front garden, and mentioned that they had lost a load when they went away for a week and the heat dried them out in that really hot spell.

I'd have been more than happy to shoot next door each day and water everything for them, if only they had asked - hell, I could even have lashed my hose over the back fence and done it with that if there was a problem getting water out to their back garden (I don't know if they have an outside tap); I told them as much as well, so hopefully they will remember the next time they go away.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,686
            Neighbours are all older than me and mostly disabled. Friend live a distance away like Essex and USA! I did find a chap who said he would do it for £35 but when I said 'you are disposing of it properly, aren't you - you're not fly tipping?' he said he took it to a firm that does skips as he an arrangement with them! :th scifD36:

Think I might follow him and see where he takes it!

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +122,442
            I agree with Pete :blue thumb:. Our local recycle centre doesn't charge but they have a limit on how much per day you can dump.

If you don't have a friend locally, how about seeing whether there is a teenage schoolboy (or grandson of an elderly neighbour) that would like some pocket money. He load your car and empty it for you whilst you do the driving. You may need to split the bags of rubble into two if they are too heavy for him. I'm sure the local dump would be accommodating if you are with him. :)

• Like Like x 1
            • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
              +19,596
              i recently got rid of 11 sacks of smashed bricks this way. I wanted rid. A local chap wanted hardcore for the foundations of an outhouse he was building.

• Alan16ac

Alan16ac Gardener

Ratings:
              +67
              If you qualify, your council might take it for free if you're physically unable to safely do it yourself.
              I just take all my stuff to the tip... sorry recycle center in my trailer. You can take a car towing a trailer with one axle, anything bigger than a a car or a trailer with 2 or more axles are subject to a charge.
              If you were near I'd move it for you just for my fuel costs, but your location says north east :(

• Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
              Ratings:
              +3,225
              I've used the same waste contractor to dispose of a huge amount of soil and rubble over the past 3 years. Most they charged me was a ton. They are licensed waste carriers too. I think they collected a huge amount of rubbish from other jobs before dumping it at a nearby commercial tip. So I have no idea why someone would want £80 for such a small amount.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
              +19,596
              I would love to set up as a licensed waste carrier. Its win-win. You charge people to collect their rubbish, then you sort through it and sell most of it on.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,668
              My local farmer takes any hardcore I have spare. They always have tracks that need "repairing"