Dividing Hydrangea

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by hedgefog, Sep 24, 2014.

1. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    Hi All

Our Hydrangea in the back garden is getting far too clogged, and looking tired as well. I am thinking of dividing it into 4 pieces, planting them in other parts of the garden.

Would it be OK for doing it about this time of the year - September October? Or would it be better to wait until spring? Would they all survive well? Any advice or tips for dividing this old & tired shrub? Thanks & regards.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi
    I dont think you can divide , you need to take cuttings or prune in the spring , do you know the variety as depending which one it is dictates how you prune , photo would be useful .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
      +69
      Sure here is the photo of it.

Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 18.41.17.png

I also watched an Youtube video about dividing Hydrangeas, but the presenter only talks about it not showing how to do it. And then I could not find any more info on dividing Hydrangeas anywhere on internet or books, so I thought it was strange.

• CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,523
      One of my young ones in a pot had sent up a shoot near the edge, I separated it and potted on it on and now I have another shrub. Not sure how this would work on a older shrub in the ground though but you could try.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Spruce

Ratings:
        +12,352
        so its a "mop head variety" .
        You are meant to leave the old flowers on as these protect the buds over the winter this type flowers on the old wood (growth this year) , you could cut down hard in the spring but would lose the flowers next year , why dont you take out a 1/3 of the old branches in the spring just before it comes into active growth ? or bite the bullet and cut it hard, fertiliser feed / water next year .

I havnt heard of dividing hydrangeas before

• Spruce

Ratings:
        +12,352
        looking at the clip I would imagine it had 3 or 4 separate plants growing in the pot

and that would be easy to split

but I would imagine yours is just the one very large plant growing in the border which would be impossible to do and would kill it

• hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
        +69
        Yeah I was not sure about it, and afraid it may die, if cut into 4 pieces. I will follow your advice, and leave it where it is, but do some hard pruning followed by lots of watering and fertiliser. Thanks & regards.

• Like Like x 1
        • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
          +69
          I have already divided another smaller one into 2, and planted them in different side of the garden last month (August), but so far no sign of life from them. I have been watering them every evening.

This one was in very poor condition with lots of holes on the yellowed leaves, as it was being cornered and has been under full shade by other larger shrub nearby. The divided two were planted in other spot with lots of room and sun, but all the leaves had to be taken off, and stems pruned short.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,838
          No, you CAN divide Hydtrangeas, Hedgehog,
          Hydrangeas will inevitably outgrow their surroundings--or crowd out other plants in the garden. When this happens, or when you decide it's time to split up a nice specimen to allow for another equally spectacular bush, follow these steps on dividing hydrangeas.

Step 1: Divide While Still Dormant
          The best times to divide hydrangeas are in the fall when the leaves have fallen and the bushes are ready to go dormant, or in early spring before new growth begins. Choose the appropriate time to separate hydrangeas and get to work.
          Step 2: Tie Up the Hydrangea
          Tie the limbs of the hydrangea with twine or rope into sections for dividing. This keeps the shrub contained for easy transport and helps to expose the stem for easier digging.

Step 3: Dig Up the Rootball
          Dig around the perimeter of the hydrangea bush about 2 feet from the main stem, using a shovel to make sharp and deep cuts. Work to loosen the roots from the soil as much as possible without severing them. Remove the rootball. Caution: mature hydrangeas can seem as if they weigh a ton! Some gardeners have reported rootballs as hard as cast iron. While this may be a slight exaggeration, the rootball of an old established plant is very heavy. This may necessitate even tougher measures to dig it out of the ground, including using a pick and an ax.

Step 4: Divide the Rootball
          Now that the rootball is out of the ground, don’t despair at its huge size and weight. In fact, the depth and width of the roots are good indications of the health of the hydrangeas. Use the shovel again, possibly with the help of a pitchfork, to divide the rootball into the number of desired sections. First, align the blade of your shovel into the middle of the root ball, applying pressure to sever it into two individual shrubs. From there, divide further if need be. For most large hydrangea bushes, this will be 2 to 4 sections, although particularly large ones may be divided successfully into 5 or more smaller clumps.

Step 5: Plant in the New Location
          Once the hydrangeas have been divided, it’s time to plant them in the ground in their new home. The best time to plant hydrangea sections is when the skies are overcast, although with a little care they can be transplanted any time of day. Fill the hole partially with water and loosen the soil so that the roots can penetrate easily. Add a good mixture of topsoil and manure to help get the new plants started.

TIP: Loosen the root ball to expose more of the root system. Place your shrub in the hole and make sure the new depth matches the depth of the original hole. Your hydrangea will have soil marks on its stem from the previous soil line. Do not plant it deeper than these lines."

Step 6: Mulch And Water
          Add mulch around the newly-divided and transplanted hydrangeas and water deeply for several hours using a slow-drip method. Be aware that the hydrangeas will most likely droop at first, but they’ll perk up after a few days. Keep watering throughout the summer, as these new plants need to get their roots deep into the ground and need lots of nourishment.

Many varieties of the mophead and lacecap hydrangeas can be successfully divided, but one appears to be particularly receptive to this type of division. That is the Nikko Blue, one of the most popular hydrangeas grown by home gardeners. This variety of hydrangea grows fast and needs a lot of room, so make sure to plant it in an area where it will have plenty of room to spread out.

After dividing, replanting, mulching and watering, just keep a vigilant eye on the plants during the summer and watch these new hydrangeas begin to take off. This method of dividing the plants can be used on any mature hydrangea plant in succeeding years--so there can always be new hydrangeas in the garden.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Creative Creative x 1
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,668
            You definitely can't divide a Hydrangea - unless it happens to be multiple plants that were in the original container. I've seen them sold like that to get multiple flower types / colours appearing to be on a single plant.

Other than that prune it after flowering to keep it under control, or prune 1/3rd each year, in the Autumn, but those pruned shoots won't flower next year (the idea of pruning 1/3rd is that the other 3/4rd should put on a good enough show)

• Agree Agree x 3
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,668
              All my Hydrangeas have a single stem coming out of the ground - I just don't see how "divide" applies to such a bush?

• Agree Agree x 3
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,668
                By the by, if you want more plants then Hydrangea is one of the easiest plants to root from cuttings

• Agree Agree x 2
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,838
                  My White Hydrangea is only 3 years old yet has around 8 stems coming out of the ground, Kristen:dunno:, and most of the ones I've seen in the gardens around here are multi-stemmed.
                  You could always split it down the stem.........but I don't think it would do it much good.:dunno::heehee:
                  I am moving my Hydrangea, along with other stuff, in November as it's in the way of the concrete base that's going to be laid for the Observatory. It's been in the back of my mind as to whether or not to divide it when I do move it to the new site but I'll probably make a last minute decision about that:coffee::snork:

• Like Like x 2
                  • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                    +12,668
                    Maybe the branches get weighed down, and then root? Given how easily cuttings root I expect that any part of a branch touching the soil would "layer".

So perhaps the criteria for "will it divide" should be "if there are multiple stems coming out of the ground in a clump" - that would over an old bush that had layered, and a young one that was actually multiple plants in the original container :)

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,838
                      I've never tried to layer Hydrangeas, Kristen, but I should think it would work and it would be an experiment worth trying I guess.:coffee::snork: