1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Design and build

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Potluck, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Potluck

Potluck Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone!

I am so excited, I have finally got my first garden (and house!) It's only small and is north facing with clay soil. I've had a look at garden design books and have an idea for what I want and made a simple design - big flower bed area, raised oval lawn area for sitting and a path to it. Now I'm wondering if I will be able to do it myself with help from friends or if I should get a professional to do it? (Trying to imagine costs!)

I'm not sure what the measurements are, but I've got an area the size of about 3 fence panels long and 2 wide. (At the end is a shed and by the house is patio) Currently it's all grass

My concern is how difficult will it be to remove the grass and improve the soil for planting.

Then I'm thinking to plant lots of seeds in the spring.

• Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      How exciting!!! :yahoo: Congratulations on your first home and garden :yay:
      Of course you could get a professional to do it but where is the fun in that? :heehee:
      Three fence panels long (so, about 18 feet?) and two fence panels wide (so, about 12 feet?) isn't a huge space and as it is all grass you will basically need to mark out your oval and remove the grass from the parts you do not want it. Digging up turf is a bit of heavy work but very do-able especially if you throw a "gardening" party where your friends can muck in and you keep the kettle boiling and tea brewing :heehee:

Any photo's?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Potluck

Ratings:
        +3
        Hi
        Thanks for the reply. Here is pix of garden and my idea. I read on the internet that it's best to kill the grass first? I guess I will need to 'improve' the soil so it's good for planting?

The T on the plan is for a tall plant, not necessarily a tree, not really room for trees! I was thinking sunflowers as a quick solution for next year.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
        • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
          Ratings:
          +6,224
          Hi there.. how do you plan to kill the grass? I just made a border in my garden and simply dug it over, literally flipped the sod over and laid it back down and put cardboard down on top for a few weeks.. lil bits of grass coming through but I just pull it up with my hands.. might be a bit difficult to flip for you as it's clay mind. Have read roses and shrubs are good for clay, maybe get some climbing roses in the "tall spots" with a bit of trellis behind to tie it in. My garden is not massive either but I have just bought 5 trees to go with the other 6 stuck around the perimeter.. don't be scared by them some will drop leaves so it won't feel to closed in. Sunflowers are lovely but they don't last long enough. Not saying don't grow them though as we have a sunflower comp on here, I failed miserably btw:heehee:..Have fun with it anyways :)

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
          Ratings:
          +5,368
          North facing and clay soil present challenges. You may need to dig in some organic material for drainage, as well as choose plants that can cope with shade. As regards removing the grass, rent a rotary cultivator! Lots of fun to use, and you will gain respect from (especially) male neighbours!

Of course you will be able to do it yourself without the need for a professional. A couple of reasons for that. One, there are amateurs on here that put pros to shame. The expertise is so wide, there is always someone that can help. Its just a matter of asking questions. Two. A professional will put their stamp on the garden. Doing it yourself will put yours on it. It will be more personal, more "you." Think of all that lovely money you will save to buy plants! Of course, you will make mistakes! Everyone does, experienced or beginner. Those mistakes can always be corrected, and that gives knowledge and experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Potluck

Ratings:
            +3
            Is it difficult to use a cultivator? Would I be looking at something like this? https://homebase.hirestation.co.uk/tool-hire/Landscaping/Rotavator-Hire/140010/

Certainly looks like it would save a lot of hard work digging.

Yes, drainage is a worry. What will I need to dig in and what sort of quantities? So many questions!

I guess rotovate, dig in the organic matter, then mark out the area for grass? I'm thinking the grass area will be slightly raised and have a small wall around it, a couple or bricks high or so. The garden has a slight slope down towards the back.

What time of year would be best to do this? Should I wait until spring? I read pages on the RHS web page about clay soil, think it said Autumn is best - before the soil gets too wet.

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
            Ratings:
            +5,368
            Using a cultivator is not difficult, and you should be able to get good advice from the hire place.

As to the amount of organic matter to dig in, others on here can give far better advice than I can.

Back when I did the last part of my lawn, I started to prepare it in Spring, allowed the ground to consolidate, and seeded the following Autumn. Grass seed seems to like being kept wet to germinate. That time of year is wet, and therefore less watering is needed.

Looking back, it would have been better to turn it over in the Autumn, then redo it the following Spring. Remember though that conditions here are different to the UK.