DIY Hard Landscaping.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Doghouse Riley, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    For anyone who hasn't attempted any “brickying," some small projects are quite simple.

I built these three block paving circles for a few quid using ready-mix fine concrete, sand and cement mortar.
    It’s all about getting the levels right and setting the blocks in barely damp concrete mix and then using fairly "stiff" mortar mix to fill in the joints when it’s gone off. If you make the mortar sloppy, you'll get cement staining on the bricks.
    The hard bit is getting perfect circles or curves. It isn’t easy, but there is a way.

I have some blue alakethine pipe used for underground water supply, it’s slightly thicker than a garden hose, rigid in short lengths but forms perfect bends or even circles if the piece is long enough and the bend isn’t too acute.
    I bend and peg it firmly into position over the concrete mix and butt up the bricks to it. It works perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]