Do Climate Protesters Have Mobile Phones?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shiney, Oct 27, 2021.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,174
    A topic that is a bit tongue in cheek but came to mind when there were a few people in the shopping centre talking about reducing your carbon emissions. All three of them had mobile phones.

I have only done a little research and not verified it but, apparently, to make one mobile phone produces 22kg of carbon dioxide. That doesn't include what is produced for disposing of them.

If you use your phone for one hour a day, in a year you will have produced roughly the same amount of carbon dioxide as a flight from London to New York. This includes CO2 production from the infrastructure and production of the electricity.

A lot of the essential components in the phone come from countries where workers' rights are almost non-existent.

The number of mobile phones in the world varies quite a bit depending on which source you look at but is somewhere around 7 billion. :rolleyespink:

I don't have a mobile phone, not for the above reason but simply because I don't see the need for one. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,679
      This counting carbon is really getting out of hand.
      I'm fed up with hearing about all the tonnage of carbon we create.
      To the bloke in the street its pie in the sky, they are all living in fairyland.

Just us breathing is making carbon dioxide and there is more than 7 billion of us in the world.

weeing in the wind comes to mind with all these stupid things they are doing.:redface:

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,507
        Just my oppinion
        Good evening @shiney as you know I love my country and forest walks and on many occaisions I consider my mobile phone an invasion of my privacy but on at least two occaisions in my life time it has saved yours truly's life and has saved other's as well and to be honest I wouldn't be without it now:smile:

• Agree Agree x 4
        • Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +91,679
          Its one of those things you didn't know you needed until you get one.;)
          If you dont want to be disturbed you just turn it off.

• Agree Agree x 4
          • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
            Ratings:
            +2,381
            I bought a 1924 ordinance map of my area. The amount of woods and trees on it are staggering. Over the last hundred years miles of woodland have been felled for development.
            Carbon emissions?.. PLANT MORE TREES!

• Agree Agree x 4
            • Like Like x 2
            • pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +91,679
              The stupidity of it all, they say stop eating meat and drinking milk.
              Go vegetarian.
              That idiot weather presenter was on our local news drinking coffee made with milk made from potatoes and other vegetable matter.
              He said it tasted good.

So now we plant more potatoes to be turned into milk???

But we are building more houses and cutting down trees to do so, and then more to plant potatoes.

At the same time our sewage system cant cope with the new houses so we pump raw sewage into the sea.

But lets ignore all that and and just talk about carbon.
              Make more pencils.

• Like Like x 3
              • Agree Agree x 3
              • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                Ratings:
                +32,854
                I do have a moblie, but i'm not a climate protester, anyway my moblie is over 15 years old, if things break i try to fix it if i can't i try to get it fix if that fails i will recycle it, even taking it to bits to get what can be recycled out so that i have done my bit

• Like Like x 5
                • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
                  Ratings:
                  +4,947
                  I wonder how many of them make online purchases only to return the goods?
                  With the boom in ecommerce purchasing nowadays, the amount of goods being returned is phenomenal. I think in the UK we send back close to £6 billion worth of goods a year, which accounts for nearly 30% of all online purchases being returned compared to 8% to bricks and mortar sales. It's reported that as much as 60% of online clothes are returned, with footwear being next 35%.

Because of the huge increase in online sales, more businesses are offering free returns to gain more sales. We keeping on hearing on the news daily about reducing our carbon foot print, yet this sector is booming, some sectors are even saying there should be an admin fee on returns, something I would back 100% on unwanted or changed my mind returns.

• Like Like x 3
                  • pete

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +91,679
                    I notice on one returns label it said "reason for return"
                    It then had a list of reasons to tick the box on.
                    One reason was "ordered two to get correct size".
                    So they order some stuff and know they will be sending it back.

I'd still prefer to go and buy in a shop, but I'm turned off town shopping due to congestion, lack of parking and the type of people you come across.

Out of town places with parking and I will go there.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +8,876
                      I don't know about that ( or I don't understand the way its worked out correctly ) phones produce zero carbon cause they are battery powered, the process of making them and charging I can see. It costs less than half a penny to charge them, and once its made it doesn't occur any other emissions but for charging and its end of life/ recycling if it ever does get recycled .

1Kwh of electric is about 17 - 20p and it cost about £1.10 for a year to charge a phone so 5- 6 kwh of electric possibly from wind power etc so could be carbon neutral . 1 Kwh of electric = 0.309kg of carbon emissions so around 2kg of Co2 emissions per year charging a phone , flight to New York 590 kg of Co2 . Add in manufacturing cost to make the phone 22kg or more

Either way I couldn't care less anymore if my phone made 100kg of Co2 or a million I am getting sick to death of hearing about hear about this that and the other about climate change and you must do this stop doing that blah blah blah. I were all for it reduce energy etc but now its starting to grind my gears. Someone going to run one of them clowns over one day .

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                        Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
                      • pete

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +91,679
                        I had to laugh, I shouldn't really because its a disaster but.........
                        They interviewed a woman in the flooded part of the lake district on TV this morning.

And the first thing she said was, "the government need to do something about this and sort out climate change":biggrin:
                        I think people are yet again becoming brain washed.

The government could shut the whole country down and it wouldn't have any effect on climate change.

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • shiney

Ratings:
                          +122,174
                          I also get a bit tired of being told to cut my CO2 emissions as I do a lot more than most people I know to reduce my carbon footprint (not really by design but more by the way I live my life :noidea:) - but there are some things I won't give up easily. :whistle:

I was reading only recently that producing clothes are one of the major producers of CO2 and it could easily be reduced by half by not discarding them when they're 'out of fashion' :scratch: nor washing them as frequently as we do. :rolleyespink: (Not guilty on either of those. :heehee:)

A quote from a phone company:-

"The charging of the phone is fairly negligible but it’s the infrastructure required to support the usage that accounts for by far the largest share of the power. It’s the servers running 24/7, the air-conditioning required to cool them and the power that keeps our broadband network running nonstop."

• Like Like x 3
                          • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +8,876
                            I see, this is why I don't like comparing such things cause the data is selected to make an opinion made as fact or make the cause stronger for one side . You could easily say what the carbon cost of running of 2 airport to accommodate the airplane what about traffic control etc it could go on and on .

Another one recently in the news about the impact of Covid & Brexit , Covid is predicted to cost the economy 2% of GDP of potential growth - Brexit is set to cost 4% of Potential growth , its being made out that Brexit is going to cost more cause 4% is bigger than 2% which is obvious . But they missed out over data or some how forgot borrowing from 2019 to 2020 went up by a whopping 250 Billion on top of 50 billion already planned for, that's already 12 to 15 % of GDP add the extra billions for 2021 makes that 4% look very small compared to 20% + GDP actually spent on covid no predictions or potential the money gone its a fact , that doesn't include covid sent the economy into recession costing more 100s of billions. So no Brexit isn't going to cost more than Covid but it wasn't show in the argument cause it skews their narrative .

Sorry to go off topic I am fed up its raining :redface: honestly I don't usually go on this much :heehee:

Back on topic Cotton is supposed to be very high Co2 emitter needs lots of water , Hemp is supposed to be our saver used for multiple things . I don't buy many cloths I wear them until they fall apart not because I am trying to save the plant I am just a cheapskate :heehee: I usually walk most places as well and don't really eat much meat at all but I'll through a wobbler if they start going on about dairy I love cheese .

• Like Like x 3
                              Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
                            • shiney

Ratings:
                              +122,174
                              Snap! :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
                              • Funny Funny x 1
                              • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
                                Ratings:
                                +4,947
                                The manufacturers and retailers will not want that.

Me and the lads were only talking today about football replica shirts. In the past most clubs would keep the same kit for two seasons, some even three seasons, not anymore. With the birth of the premier league and sky sports , came a worldwide audience. There was a voluntary agreement in place that they would only change strips every other year, that soon went out of the window. Most clubs now change their strip every season, plus adding a third kit so it wouldn't clash with the opposing team. With worldwide sales increasing, changing kit every season is now a "cash cow" for all those involved.

• Agree Agree x 2
                                • Like Like x 1