Do I need a base?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jonno1230, Jul 20, 2008.

1. jonno1230

jonno1230 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pondering buying a greenhouse. I've been looking on the internet and I've seen that some have bases and some don't.

As it will be situated on a paved patio do I need a special kind of base or do I even need one at all?

Thanks.

Jonno :confused:

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Hi jonno, I think they are refering to an optional 6" section that raises the frame that much higher. I took the option and reckon I've saved a few breakages when hitting it with the mower instead of the glass.:rolleyes: It does give the headroom above the door which avoids a scalping too!!:D

3. Damage

Damage Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi jonno,

There's the "raising it up" issue that Paladin talks about, and there's also the issue of securing it firmly to the ground. In high winds greenhouses have been known to jump over the fence - literally :)

You need either a base made of blocks that you bolt / screw the bottom of the frame to, or you can drill holes in what ever it is on (if hard and heavy material) and fix it to that.

One of my greenhouses is just on the bare gound and I have driven very long pegs down through the bottom of the frame and into the ground to hold it down. I bought 4ft lengths of reinforcing rod from B&Q and bend over the top few inches at a right angle in a vice and them hammered them down. So far so good.

4. jonno1230

jonno1230 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you guys. I'll look for one with a base I can secure to a solid surface. :thumb:

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Jonno, also, if it`s an aluminium greenhouse the door hooks under the frame. So a base is essential otherwise the door wont run.:thumb::D

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    If the slabs are solid then lay a couple of courses of common bricks and and screw and plug the frame to this.

7. golfer

golfer Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    My base is secured to my slabs with tapcon screws they will never come out no need to use plugs with these just drill the hole with the drill that comes with a box or buy the screws ie small amount and purchase the drill thay are about £3.5.