Do I need to tell my energy supplier I have solar panels?

Discussion in 'How To ..........' started by amyjones329, Apr 13, 2023.

1. amyjones329

amyjones329 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Recently installed a solar panel from a solar panel installer in London. I'm really confused now. Do I need to tell my energy supplier I have solar panels? Will they be able to tell?
    Do you still pay standing charge if you have solar panels? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,936
    My installer did all the necessary paperwork for me. If you intend to get paid for any excess power you generate you need a few different things, it took about 6 weeks for all mine to go through. I seem to recall needing a MCS certificate and approval from the DNO. Then you get onto a tariff so your supplier can pay you.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,936
      Unless you have big enough batteries you will still need to import electric and hence pay the standing charge. We generate about half of what we need but of course it's during day time. At night what will you use?

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,389
      You say "a solar panel". Do you mean just one?

• gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
      Ratings:
      +4,947
      It will depend on your tariff, it is possible to have a "zero standing charge tariff" some energy providers do offer this but it's not very common for domestic users to be on these type of tariff's. If your energy provider does offer a "zero standing charge tariff" you will pay more per kWh, so it will depend on how much electric you still have to import. People who have holiday lets will tend to be on a "zero standing charge tariff" so they just pay for what they use.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Fof

Fof Gardener

Ratings:
        +219
        I know this is a bit "late to the party", but here's my penny's worth.
        A solar panel's output voltage can be between a nominal 12v DC and 40v DC, depending on model and configuration.
        Provided that is what you want/need for charging, say lead acid batteries or 12v/24v lights, totally independent from a mains supply, then you have no need to tell anyone.
        If the intention is to integrate them into a mains supply, then an inverter is needed to change the panel's o/p to 240v AC. At this point, you HAVE to tell your supplier, as you become part of the UK generation network and it has to be installed and connected by an approved, qualified electrician.

• Agree Agree x 1