Do ? snails & slugs realy hate Garlic

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Spruce, May 30, 2011.

1. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi All

I was reading that you can spray garlic onto plants and it will keep the slugs and snails off , anyone agree or have a recipe to make ??

Spruce:love30:

2. simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,318
    I have the recipe Spruce I haven't tried it yet though been so dry here no slugs about, but we have rain today:yahoo:at last.
    Crush 2 garlic bulbs add to 2pints of water and boil for 3 mins until blanched, cool and strain, make back up to 2 pints, use 1 tablespoon per gallon of water in watering can with rose, pour over leaves late afternoon, do this every 14 days from when shoots appear.
    Really must try this this year, now I have a few more hostas:)

• Like Like x 1
    • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      I will try that ,my local B&M,or some initials like that, sell jars of garlic paste quite cheaply:WINK1:,its no substitute for edible consumption,IMO, :heehee:

I have a jar somewhere ,so WHEN it stops raining , I will water my beans etc as now it has rained I presume the little blighters will appear :stirpot:

• Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
      Ratings:
      +112
      Just don't spray your strawberries with it :heehee:

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +8,039
      Probably I've told this before... sorry... [​IMG]
      My Grandfather, an enthusiastic weekend gardener read somewhere that garlic is very efficient in keeping moles and rabbits away. He decided to try the method out very profoundly, and planted large amounts of garlic in his precious apple orchard.

The story doesn't tell what happened to the moles and rabbits, but nobody ate the apples that year. And my Grandmother says that there were no volunteers to pick the apples as just walking between the trees made the eyes water...

Do let us know how the slugs react! I'm always happy to read terrifying, graphic slug- torture stories... [​IMG]

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Rabbits will eat garlic leaves right down to the ground unless they're fenced out. I've been told that rabbits that rabbits eat wild garlic and this gives their meat a garlicky flavour.

I have been growing garlic within a couple of metres of apple trees for years and never noticed any garlicy flavour in the apples. I also pick cherry plums from a tree that's surrounded by wild garlic and they don't affect the flavour.