Do Tropaeolum majus and Tropaeolum minus hybridise?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by groundbeetle, Jul 2, 2022.

1. groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
    +443
    Do Tropaeolum majus, long trailing and climbing nasturtiums, and Tropaeolum minus, short nasturtiums, hybridise/interbreed?

I ask for two main reasons. The first is it might be interesting to get the colours and forms of the short nasturtiums in a big seven foot climbing nasturtium. The second reason is when it comes to collecting their seeds, do I need to collect the Tropaeolum majus seeds separately from the Tropaelom minus seeds? If they don't hybridise, it would be a good idea to keep them separate so that when they get replanted I know which are going to be long and which short so I know where to plant them. If they do hybridise, then that wouldn't matter.

The bees are very busy with all my nasturtiums at the moment, and if they can hybridise, the bees will have made sure that they will.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022