Do you use a battery operated strimmer?

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Steve R, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    I'm asking for a friend, I have a petrol model for down at the plot.

Does anyone own one and use it on their allotment plot or know someone who does?

I've searched a google a little and noticed most of them are called grass trimmers which suggests they are for tickling the edges of lawns. Added to that the majority seem to be 18v which is the same sort of power as an electric screwdriver.

Until you have a plot sorted and very tidy nettles, docs and brambles grow so something reasonably powerful is required, would and 18v or even the more expensive 36v do that job ok or is a 2 stroke petrol strimmer the preferred tool?

Steve...:)

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,644
    I've got a Bosch battery strimmer, it has replaceable plastic blades instead of plastic wire. It is very lightweight, so very easy to use on a my home lawns which are reasonably tidy with no rough grass. It has good battery life and best thing it has an interchangeable battery with my other Bosch tools (so I have a couple of batteries giving at least a couple hours of use).

No way is it up to handling the rough grass on my allotment. I had the idea I could use it down there and save me a bit of time filling up and starting the communal petrol strimmer, but it's not up to that task so I wouldn't recommend it for an allotment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      I have a choice of Strimmers, one of which is a Bosch battery one. It sounds like the one described above by JWK, as it has replaceable plastic blades. For light work, such as lawn edges, its fine. I will admit to being happy when the battery is discharged, as I find it to be uncomfortable to use for that long a period. Luckily, the battery has never lasted as long as it is claimed on the box it came in.

For things such as nettles, rough grass, its useless. As are the smaller two stroke strimmers. For that, I would use either my old Stihl Brush Cutter, (25 years old and still going strong!) or a newer wheeled strimmer. The latter uses 2 x 580mm long, 4mm diameter cords, which last a long time.

So, I would not recommend a battery trimmer for an allotment either. Nor, for that matter, a smaller petrol one.

• Like Like x 1
      • Rustler

Rustler Super Gardener

Retired (Early)
        Ratings:
        +1,217
        As above. Tried many battery strimmers and fine for light duty. Anything heavy and they give up the ghost.

• Like Like x 1
        • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
          Ratings:
          +3,698
          Thank you all, that's pretty much how I figured they would be. I'll pass it on to my friend.

Steve...:)

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          As above battery strimmers are ideal for light work , but struggle on anything more than a grass strim.

• Like Like x 1
          • ms.mapgirl

ms.mapgirl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +2
            I had a small battery operated strimmer for tickling round my shed regularly, but always used a petrol strimmer for the rest of the plot. I hated the petrol stimmer with a passion - heavy, smelly, hot, temperamental, exhausting - and consequently would put off doing the job until things started to get out of hand and even more painful... :sad:

Enough was enough, so I went looking for an alternative. I even considered learning how to scythe, but decided my plot is too uneven and there'd still be bits I would need to strim (and all that sharpening...). I finally purchased a 30v battery strimmer and am thrilled with it. It's a little heavier than I expected, but much lighter than the petrol jobbie and the addition of a shoulder strap should make it comfortable for my weedy arms.

Time will tell how reliable the battery is, but it's powerful enough to cut nettles, ferns and (thin) brambles easily. I wouldn't use it to clear a seriously overgrown plot, but for regular maintenance, I think it's going to be great.

Keeping everything crossed that I'll be just as enthusiastic in year's time! :fingers crossed:

• Like Like x 2