Dock infestation

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Blackarchibald, May 10, 2010.

1. Blackarchibald

Blackarchibald Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Last year I created a rock garden to the front of my house using succulents such as houseleek etc, and some hardy alpines.
    I had laid the area with cobbles, based on sharp sand and the filled in the planting areas with compost, then covered the compost with very fine gravel.

This year the area has seen a large amount of dock leaves growing in the area, and also growing through some of the plants.
    I was wondering what I should do to kill/discourage the docks without damaging my plantings, some of which were quite expensive. I am quite reluctant to deal with the docks with something such as Glyphosate, in case the kill my other plants.

Any suggestions, gratefully received?

Cheers

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb:Hi Blackarchibald,
    They are a nightmare & I kill mine selectively by mixing Glyphosate killer with wallpaper paste powder.. Leave to thicken then put on rubber gloves with an old sock or old wooly type gloves on over the top... Get a small amount on your gloves & rub once together, then stroke the docks all the way up their leaves.. Obviously being careful not to touch your good plants... This way you get the docks only..!! You may need to do it twice, but just be careful & there is none to drip onto the wrong plants..!!!! This way you kill them to heir roots..!! Hope that helps..!!!! :gnthb:

3. moonrakermagpie

moonrakermagpie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Lots of advice on the web....worth googleing for "killing dock" etc.....

This backs up what she said............Marley that is:)

Application by hand - For those really stubborn weeds put on a marigold glove, then a fabric glove and dip your hand in the systemic weed killer. Grasp the bottom of the weed and draw your hand up the plant crushing the leaves as you go. This makes the weed take up the chemicals more readily.

Steve

4. moonrakermagpie

moonrakermagpie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh!!!!!!

Here are some previous threads containing the word..."dock".......great bedtime reading:wink::wink::ywn::ywn:

5. Blackarchibald

Blackarchibald Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks peoples!
    Will try it out the glove idea. I like the idea of crushing those pesky Dockens!:thmb: