Docks

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by liston, Mar 3, 2008.

1. liston

liston Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We are over-run with docks. The area is uncultivated after building work and there is nothing else to ruin/damage. Can anyone advise something to clear the gound prior to turning it into a garden. Thanks

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Several sprayings of roundup will do the trick, spray till run off, leave for 2 weeks then spray again. A further fortnight then cultivate.

If its a small area Id fork the worst of them up b4 spraying.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    The trouble with trying to fork them out before spraying is, that you are likely to leave some of the root in the ground. Which will quickly regrow.

4. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I've used Pastor on our paddocks for a heavy infestation of docks. It knocks them down within about 3 to 4 days and after two weeks the ground is pretty clear, but they still regrow the following year. Would using roundup be more permanent and is it safe for grazing animals?

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Roundup is a Glyphosate based weedkiller. It is absorbed by the plant and will kill the roots as well as the topgrowth. It is safe for animals amd children once it dries in, but wetherb this applies to grazing animals, I couldn`t say. I think it`s made by Monsanto, terrier, get in touch with them to make sure.

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Terrier, For paddock areas you want a selective weedkiller that wont kill off the grass, roundup is non selective and therfore although effective not the best option.

For paddock or orchard type grass land I spot treat with Blaster from ALS, �£37 plus vat for 1 litre so cheap ish.

ALS tel 01952 641949