does anyone have a pond?

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by sam k, Sep 5, 2005.

1. sam k

sam k Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone, can someone help me.
    I have a friend who is looking for water hawthorn and nymphoibes peltata for their pond. Does anyone know where they can get these?
    many thanks
    sam

2. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi best look in a Watergarden / Nursery..they may still have some...but then overwinter frost free... neither is very hardy...unless in a very deep pond, once foliage died off, sink it to lower part....make sure you label it, or you may think it's dead, or best buy in spring...

Ladybird

3. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    I thought water hawthorn was a British native, mine's over wintered in a raised pond for years,(I am down south so that may help)
    It took me a couple of years to find a water hawthorn for sale in this area. If you think it would survive the post in a jiffy bag I'd be happy to send you a baby plant (they breed like rabbits) [​IMG]

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,117
    I used to have a water hawthorn, it tended to flower in spring and autumn, being I believe a S. African plant, and a winter grower. Its quite commonly avalable, Aponogeton distachyus, as Ladybird says it likes deepish water.
    Nymphoidies peltata should also be fairly easy to find, that likes deep water as well.

5. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    No matter how deep you plant,this heart shaped leaves always reach to the top...as Pete said... prefer the shorter days..spring and Autumn.

Ladybird

6. T

T Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have water hawthorn in my pond some years ago but I want to get some for my new pond now ( we filled the old one in when our grand daughter was born but she's old enough now) and from what I can remember it had a lovely scent, but it over wintered really well and spread like mad.I got it from a garden centre near us.

7. T

T Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have water hawthorn in my pond some years ago but I want to get some for my new pond now ( we filled the old one in when our grand daughter was born but she's old enough now) and from what I can remember it had a lovely scent, but it over wintered really well and spread like mad.I got it from a garden centre near us.

8. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Water hawthorn is totally hardy. Some escaped from my top pond into the middle pool which is only 8 inches deep and flowers all year except July which is normal. I'm forever pulling it out.

If you want a piece I could post it to you.

9. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Could I put my name down for a piece?

10. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    PM me. I'll be cleaning out the top pond soon, it's silted up.